Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Pretty sure simply being Enoch Burke is what will stop him ever teaching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

So he's to be fined 700 a day if he keeps turning up. I'd imagine that's where the crowdfunder kicks in.

Wonder if the judge can up the amount of the fine if he doesn't comply

And if he just refuses to pay, what are the options then? take his assets sure. But he's living at home with his parents. How many assets does he have?

Edit to add link

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's the right move by the courts, but the best case is that he'll just stand outside the gates forever instead. Maybe that will be enough for the school, but if it turns out to be disruptive, they'll have to get an injunction to keep him from 500m (or preferably 500km) from the property.

Edit: actually, as pointed out below, the fine is until he purges his contempt. That means turning up at court and making an undertaking that he'll stay away from the school. So being outside the gates or even staying at home will incur the fine. Very interesting indeed.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He will be fined 700 a day until he purges his contempt. every day, even if he doesn't turn up to the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If he thinks any principal in Ireland is ever going to employ him again, regardless of any trespassing charge, he is completely delusional.

It won't though. He'll refuse to pay it, and he'll have minimal assets to be seized if they go for an enforcement order.

• Advertisement

• i think the important detail is he seemingly is required to present at court and purge his contempt it’s not good enough to stop showing up by itself.

This is the part he’ll have the most trouble with— actually admitting he’s in the wrong and telling a court he won’t do it any longer. i mean he refused to do so to halt the dislplincary hearing he was so desperate to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Principal and the school board deserve our support. Would anyone like to set up a GoFundMe to pay for bouncers to stand at the gates and keep him out? Or a whole new access control system, that uses facial recognition to just block him and his da.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

But there's huge areas where evangelicals like them are the dominant culture. Even the police there are evangelicals.

• Also RTE reporting the judge has said if the €700/day doesn’t have the “desired effect” the amount can be reviewed (and it will be on Feb 10th).

so if he doesn’t comply they’ll charge more. He doesn’t pay he’ll end up in prison or with his assets seized (or both).

• The police there also won’t tolerate being lectured on the law or shouted at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think a fine is going to be much use.

The family clearly aren't strapped for cash and I imagine they won't have trouble finding interest groups willing to stump up the cash to keep the issue in the limelight and allow him to continue acting the maggot.

How the judge hasn't seen that or considered it boggles the mind. An order keeping him away from the school or just throwing him in jail would be more effective. At least that way the school and the students can get on with things without the Guards and the media turning up every day.

This guy's standing up for his principles, grand, but I doubt his approach is winning anyone over. He's just making a show of himself and his family. The details of the whole debacle have been thoroughly reported. He's lost control of the narrative so he's not going to win over any neutrals who are willing to research the matter with an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭jacool

I wouldn't be buying that Hyundai second hand.

The passenger window is always open, for the photo op. I doubt it closes now. Has his dad not got another job, no?

• There is an order to stay away from the school he is ignoring it.

He was also jailed for contempt of court and released before Christmas because it was evident he was not going to purge his contempt and was using it to further his own agenda.

The fines are so far the only thing that will potentially put a stop to him. There’s this talk of the yanks funding him or his family having the cash to pay, I just can’t see it.

€5,000 a week is not money you’ll find easily I don’t care who you are. Also Burke might have the support of a few nutters in America but I can’t see them giving him money hand over fist for this. These Christian ones over there aren’t all millionaires either.

The might do it temporarily but it won’t be funded indefinitely. The fact is any religious group in America is going to look after them and theirs before some gobshite in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Probably mentioned before but what actual right did the school have in firing him?

What is the precise reason for his dismissal?

Surely you can just call everyone student or just their name or whatever and not have to deal with the pronoun nonsense etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'll pay extra if the bouncers only refer to him in gender neutral pronouns when dealing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,746 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd say they're unlikely to pay the fine regardless of whether they have the money or not.

He didn't get in trouble for refusing to use the student's preferred name or pronouns; he got into trouble for the way he went about voicing his objections and then his refusal to engage in disciplinary proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭sporina

I am starting to feel sorry for him.. sure the poor fella is brainwashed.. wasn't reared in society.. he's still under the Mum's control..

Standing outside the school - maybe its his inner child trying to make up for his lost youth.. nah.. I don't really mean that - but the point is - he's been brainwashed.. maybe he's a victim

(I could be talking crap - just thought of on the above, based on what I know which isn't much really)

Exactly.

The point he is trying to make has been drowned out by all the negative attention his antics are getting and the fact that the details of the matter have been explained repeatedly across various sources.

The only ones who don't know the ins and outs are willfully ignorant or those who have an ulterior motive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

He harassed the school principal at an event, he kept turning up while suspended because of said harassment, he kept turning up while there was an injunction against him turning up. His refusal to call the child by their preferred pronouns was not the reason he was sacked, it was the absolutely deranged way he carried on over it that cost him his job.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes.. It has been mentioned before, repeatedly.

But - To recap!!

He verbally abused and physically intimidated his Boss at a public school event and refused to stop when asked repeatedly and had to be physically restrained by other members of staff - That in and of itself would have been enough for dismissal.

But having been suspended (on full pay) pending a hearing for that behaviour, he continued to turn up for work interfering with the school day and then ignored a court injunction to stop him coming to the school , he spent 104 days in Prison for that contempt and on his release went right back to turning up to school every day causing disruption.

He was then fired and he continues to turn up to school every day , causing disruption.

How will a fine work if say all his income was paid or transferred into a family bank account for the benefit of the whole family and he has no personal assets?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

To the best of my knowledge he wasn't willing to use the student's changed name either. Or more to the point since he never actually had contact with the student in question he considered just being asked to use the different name and gender neutral pronouns to be a violation of his religious freedom. Pretty much the classic argument used by evangelicals in the US: You stopping me from imposing my religion on you is a violation of my religious freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,491 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think you should read the news.

Enoch was told to call a certain student They.

He didn't like it.

He turned up at a school function and harrased the principal.

He was then suspended with pay and he kept on turning up for school.

So, it just shows you how unprofessional he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

And according to one report from a few months back, the child in question wasn’t even in any of his classes and wasn’t going to be either.

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's the bit I don't understand , legally speaking.

If he doesn't have the €700 a day for whatever reason like your example above or any other potential reason and he also doesn't have assets to be seized in lieu like a car or house etc. - What happens then?

Does he go to jail for non-payment and do the costs keep mounting up while he sits in jail refusing the purge the contempt?

He's shown that he's perfectly happy to sit in jail indefinitely so I really don't know how this ends , because I really can't see Enoch just slinking away any time soon.

He's far too much of a zealot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

….

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Correct, they will not comply with any law they do not believe in.

Yet will readily use it to try and gain an advantage.

Hypocrites of the highest order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If he's happy to stay in jail indefinitely I'd be happy to leave him in there indefinitely.

Advertisement