Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak detection.

Options
  • 06-01-2023 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the middle of rooting here,

We've done a lovely job on our yard here, landscaping, concreting, flowers and shrubs.

Now we have a leak under the concrete losing 300ltres/hour, Have a digger hired at the moment digging in non concrete areas, looking for pipes in an effort to isolate a few areas , will have to get a breaker and con saw tomorrow to dig up concrete

Anyone know a good leak detection firm , diviner, etc in the midlands

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Are there any private water schemes in your area. They might have a leak detection device or contact your local coco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

You could try these crowd, I have never had any dealings with them, but I have heard of people using them, but think it could be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I've done that, i contacted irish water and first person said they'd look after it , second one said the same and they'll discount the bill because I'd say it'll be massive and the third person said they don't do private property, f...k. That phone call took 25mins with all the holding. I don't know if you'd call them a public service but they have the same ethos .

I contacted the CO council for the last leak and he got it wrong , a neighbour told me he'd do better if I offered cash.

I've got a guy in Cavan called In Depth for wednesday so here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭epfff

Simple listing device would find a leak of that size.

What about the dog in county Roscommon?

I got a guy years ago but have his number lost and can't find him online.

He started at the meter and walked fast along the line of the pipe with the listing device and marked a spot. He was bang on it was a joint that was created when digging for a shore about 30 yrs previous. The water was been drained by the stone shore so not pond forming.

After a few days of a leak like that would there not be a pond?

Can you think of anything similar to my shore in your yard?

I've had a guy last week with a listening device and couldn't find it, I've used him twice before no bother but couldn't locate it this time. The guy from cavan is sending someone on monday. hope he gets it as it seems to be getting worse......

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

I'm going to try the farm insurance if it's a big bill, I'm usually fairly good at checking the meter,, I couldn't believe i hadn't checked it since April. where did this year go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Dozer1

So been through irish water with 2 leaks in 2022...bunch of idiots from start to finish but eventually got sorted. Basically it's all done through email after you fix leak record 3 readings showing normal use then email all that to their email address and be prepared for weeks of mails idiotic questions.

All the phone calls were painful their online portal a child with a crayon could do better and is useless really apart from paying the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭grange mac

Tell them you are Ukrainian & you have no water 😂😂... Dealth with IW during year, staff are definitely hand picked as between them took 9 months to run a pipe 20m for me to get connected . And when it eventually came put meter directly on wheel of the traffic in my place. Told them it will leak they were to return in November 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭blackbox

Can you isolate it both sides of the concrete area and re-route the pipes? Might be easier than digging up concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yep. It would be madness to go looking under concrete for a random leak.

You should have an idea of where the pipes are so find them outside of concrete and isolate supply side one at a time and check the water meter. When you know the pipe run leak is on, it may well be possible to reroute away from concrete using new pipe.

My neighbours join our yard on both side so no room to go round the concrete and we're on the side of the road.

Very little road frontage, only the width of the house and garden and yard gate

• Advertisement

Have the leak detection guys here at the mo, they're using hydrogen in the water pipes and have found the leak. It's unbelievable that the hydrogen coming from the leak comes up through the concrete..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

How much of a leak was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do they fix the leak and how much do they charge? Did you post of a similar leak years ago?

I was a bit previous saying they had found the leak , it seems to be under the sheep tunnel, it's all a bit vague now.

My confidence in them now isn't as good as it was at lunch time.

They charge €850 to find it, repair is extra.

Not a great start to the year, and there's sheep in the tunnel now too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

The best money you’ll spend if there are any issues with a pipe….

A pipe that is too shallow and the frost can get at is liable to burst at any time. Or a pipe that was driven over a few times before being buried.

What pressure is the mains at? The old alkathene pipe can be rubbish when there’s any serious pressure on it.

Plenty of farms have the water pressure at 40 psi and it works away grand. Some of the council supplies are over 100 psi and you’d want blue hdpe pipe for it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Any update @wrangler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I don't know why you are contacting irish water or the council. Neither have any business finding nor fixing leaks in a persons own pipework beyond the meter.

Would you ask the ESB to come in a change your lightbulbs for you? Same thing.

Aqualeak do sonogranh leak detection. They basically listen for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 waterleak

850 to find a leak is excessive to say the least

I was after having surgery and couldn't work for 6 weeks so I got desperate.

but even when they came they didn't do anything and wouldn't come unless paid up front.

An way I have it dealt with, I hired a digger, rock breaker, and roadsaw to detect where the leaks were, I dug up the pipe in a few places and blocked the pipe, if the meter stopped spinning I knew the leak was further on and dug again.

The leaks were under the two sheep sheds so I left them and repiped around the yard and out into the fields connected the sheds to the new pipe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 waterleak

Hope you're feeling better. A lot of leak detection companies think it's ok to charge whether they find the leak or not and know how to charge royally. My motto is if you can't find the leak, you can't charge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,656 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I am not sure if you are entirely correct about that. I think they will help in leak detection on private dwellings.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement