Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow section

Options
  • 06-01-2023 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Good morning.

Had a cow that needed a section last night.

Only had one ever before on farm, very nervous cow. Big roomey cow. Gave her a blue ( new red ). 5th calver.

Any way just wondering vet siad to keep an eye to see if she passes manure.

Section at 12:30 last night and nothing yet. Did ye ever try tracele ECT.

Also do they take long to clean after section.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I give s calved cow a approx 15 litres warm warm water with some salt in it, after the calf is fed. They usually drink it down all in one go, seems to clear shortly afterwards. It's what my father always did, don't know whether it's the stimulus or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Give her time. They can take days to clear fully after a section. If she's able to stand on her own she will have a great chance.

Keep that wound clean. Old vet, we had told me to use diluted hydrogen peroxide to keep it clean. just splash it on around the stitches. The newer vet said it's an irritant.

I found it great for keeping flies away if the wound is clear and draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Advertisement