Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal process to DAFM re schemes

Options
  • 06-01-2023 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, does anyone have any experience of appeals to the DAFM in Portlaoise re scheme applications?

And if so how did ye find them (either directly or anecdotally)?

How long does it take to get a review and a decision? I know this depends on context and personnel but just trying to get a feel for things/or am I pissing against the wind.

Are they reasonable or is it a "computer says no" type set-up?!

Error by an advisor resulted in a scheme not being applied for correctly and is causing me headaches. New scheme by the way -whether that helps me or not.

Any steer or sharing of experience would be helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I appealed a decision they made on me being a new entrant a few years ago.

Took about 12 months before I eventually got a meeting/hearing, after 2-3 letters and re-appeals. The issue was straightforward but I was only told at the hearing what it was. There was no mention of it in any of the letters. So because it wasn’t mentioned, I assumed it wasn’t that and maybe there was a mistake on their side and kept pursuing it.

A one-sentence explanation in the original letter would have saved me 12 months of hassle chasing them on what turned out to be a dead end anyway.

My only advice would be to get an oral hearing with them ASAP. Don’t get dragged into exchanging letters or emails.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

I went through the appeals process a number of years ago . I certainly got 5he impression that the appeals officer was very biased in favour of the dep . They are not independent of the dep as they claim to be . My appeal was to do with the Reps scheme and the sudden closure of the scheme. My plan was completed on time and date printed on plan but couldn't be submitted on time as the Dep reps system crashed that day . I got a letter from the system people which stated it had crashed several times that day. I also got letters from 3 other reps planners which stated that the dep took a sympathic line on plans arriving late due to a system failure on their side , one would think I'd win my appeal easily now but the appeals officer gave her verdict in a long letter acknowledging that there might have been problems however she couldn't allow my appeal as I had missed the deadline to have plan handed in . Anyway I contacted her to voice my disappointment and she told me she had received letters from other sources to back up the departments case . I reminded her that any letters I had given her had to be given to the department officer as a matter of fairness as stated by her , so why wasn't I shown the same courtesy or fairness. At that she shut up and would not make any further comment. Anyway I contacted another department officer involved in the rep's scheme , told him the story and his reply was to drop in the plan as he was well aware of the issues and that the fault had been at their end , all sorted. But Don't let me put you off , nothing ventured , nothing gained

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't know much about appeals. Out here in the wilds, this is why we have T.D.s .

Post edited by older by the day on

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

I made an appeal against a decision many years ago. It took about over 14 months before it was sorted but when the decision went in my favour they rolled back the system and applied the payments to me. It was regarding an application to the national reserve that never got, and seemed as if it had just upped and disappeared. I eventually proved that I had made the application but it took time.

I think the whole process for all aspects has improved and operates a lot quicker now days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

There's always the Ombudsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

If you google it you'll find cases where the farmer took his case to the ombudsman and , the ombudsman recommended to the dep to reverse their decision and allow the appeal and the dep told the ombudsman No . The ombudsman can't make departments implement their decisions. But its worth a try if all other avenues are exhausted

Advertisement