Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

importing from Tenerife...is it like driving her back from Madrid or more complicated?

• 06-01-2023 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

might have found my perfect van '88 T3

but it's based in Tenerife

I don't mind going on a skite to lift her and drive home

but is the paperwork ultimately per Spain mainland or more to it? (I've read elsewhere but it was an article aimed at UK lads so dunno)

anyone out there taken a motor in from the Canaries -->Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭w124man

Its in the EU so drive it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,454 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Extract from Wikipedia:

The islands, as an autonomous region of Spain, are in the European Union and the Schengen Area. They are in the European Union Customs Union but outside the VAT area.[135] Instead of VAT there is a local Sales Tax (IGIC) which has a general rate of 7%, an increased tax rate of 13.5%, a reduced tax rate of 3% and a zero tax rate for certain basic need products and services. Consequently, some products are subject to additional VAT if being exported from the islands into mainland Spain or the rest of the EU.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

47 hours on the ferry from Tenerife to southern Spain, so just bear that in mind. Then 19 hours from Bilboa to Cork if you go that way.

This YouTuber did UK to Tenerife last year to give you an idea of the journey. Personally, I’d love to make that trip 🙂.

Best of luck with the van.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

thanks all

not gone this far afield before but not my first rodeo going abroad to lift a motor either, the one big reservation I have about it all is that when going away I've always lined up as many in 100km radius I can to see over course of couple of days...best favourite looking sounding one first then select the best one out of them...but I'd say about 50% of the time it happened that it wasn't the first one I saw that I picked out...on one trip I actually got unlucky? and decided to come home empty handed.....so heading to Tenerife to see just the one van (however magnificent it looks online) could potentially paint myself into an unwanted corner, sure lets see, if I go for it I'll post the info up

*thanks ESEL never thought of looking up in Wikipedia, that's very useful and matches that article I'd read before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

If you buy and intend to get ferry from Bilbao then do not skimp on the cabin. We did Roslare to Bilbao last week, my buddy upgraded the cabin to one with a window and the upgrade included access to a large quiet lounge with no kids or drunk vomiting people. There was free breakfast (eggs rashers etc etc and all continental breakfasts) and all day fresh pastries and evening tapas. Free wine as well. The drive down to Malaga was enjoyable. We selected “avoid motorways” on Google maps and had great dual carriageways all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Just a thought, if the van doesn’t live up to expectations, would it be worth having another car or van lined up to buy over there so you don’t come back empty handed? It need not be something you really want but you could just sell it when you get back, make a few bob so the trip isn’t a bust for you.

Hopefully it does go well and we get to read about your trip in the future 🙂

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Advertisement