Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any new trails in Ballinastoe in the last 2 months ?

Options
  • 06-01-2023 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I went to Ballinastoe approx. 2 months ago and tried the new Junkers, Holts, Dark loam but I also saw recently on Instagram that Trailbreaker are working on new trails in the area... anything new opened there or is about to open soon ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

I would doubt that much happened in the last 2 months with weather, christmas. But I'm going there tomorrow and will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yeah, same as Gerry, nothing new opened in the last few months except a slight revamp to the start of Expressway. Still, with what is there you would get in 25km by doing everything.

But as you say, there is huge work going on and probably come the summer there will be another 5 trails open. New link to Expressway from end of Zipper, second trial off the platform beside Junkers and 3 new trails from new climbing trail off Pump & Grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ram82

Sounds very promising! Imagine if they were to build a lift or set up a van uplift... That's me dreaming as I can't afford an ebike 😂

With the layout of the trails now, it is definitely going to a long day in saddle on a regular bike. You would get a lot of meters in trying to hit all the trails when finished given their top to bottom nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Gerry

was there today. we didnt see any new open trails but that a few new under construction. the start of expressway is very nice now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

Some more new trails gonna be opening in Ballinastoe hopefully in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

That's not a big change. That's just a big building, and some cosmetic changes, and a bit more parking. A big change to me would be loads of new trails. We go for trails, not for buildings.

When was the last time you were there? There has been lots of changes to the trail network in the last year and even more to come later this year.

Ah I know all the new trails, and the ones proposed. The point I was making was that a new trail head building isn't a huge addition: it's more the trails that are of interest to bikers generally. They go for the trails, not the shop/showers/whatever.

• Advertisement

They go hand in hand imo. It be nice to see decent facilities up there with the likes of toilets and some shetler to enjoy a coffee. I suppose the article only mentions the building as this is what they are applying for permission for. The trails already exist.

Ah yeah, decent facilities are welcome alright. I hear there's a load of new trails going to be opened in March. The whole thing is a huge improvement on what was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ram82

Great news on the new building/facilities. It's definitely going the right direction - next year we'll get a chairlift to the top (fake news) 😉

New trails open now if anyone is undecided where to ride this weekend. A seriously impressive trail network now, with something to suit all abilities. Hats off to the Trailbreaker crew who have done great work on the all the new trails.

As well as Ravens (parallel to Junkers) and the link to Expressway which opened last month, there are now 3 extra trails which are accesesd off Pump n Grind. 1 flowy red, 1 techy black and a black jump line. Also a lower black section with drops and doubles which finishes at end Expressway.

Everything is rollable but they are a step up from any of the previous trails. If you're used to natural trails they won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone know why the car park is closed at Ballinastoe? Went up Friday and today and both days it was closed and today was particularly busy at 10am so nowhere for people to park.

It was a lot busier today than it usually is midweek. Damn fair weather riders :)

I think the inner car park was originally only open for the weekends, but then its been opened midweek if the guys are working in the biking.ie hut.

But said it before, 4.30 closing is ridiculous and they really need to look at better opening hours, with the long evenings and improved trails.

I'm guessing they can't have an automatic gate like Ticknock as someone seems to have a house in there and manually opens the gate. Automatic gates break regularly which would leave them stuck.

Being closed at all is a bit crap in the Summer regardless of the bike hut being open. It was open any time I've gone midweek except the last few days. 4:30 is a bit of a crap time too as people will be going after work.

Thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread. What would be the easiest way to the top of Ballinastoe?

Today I skipped Cool Runnings and took the road up towards Double Trouble, it gets pretty steep but it's a short climb then it's downhill to get right up to Double Trouble.

I could mess around with Trail Forks but the numbers aren't always a good indicator, for example from the end of Expressway going up past Suas is more elevation but I'd much rather go that way rather than take the other path downhill just to go back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

"Thought I'd post here rather than start a new thread. What would be the easiest way to the top of Ballinastoe?"

On a full power E-MTB! :D

Don't forget the back climb, up by the overflow carpark and up towards start of zipper.

Tbh, you're heading the same place eitherway so doesn't really matter what way you go. I usually mix it up to break the monotony of taking the same climb on every visit.

Post edited by prunudo on

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness it matters to me haha, my fitness is at a low level. If I can spend less time climbing to the top to have a bit more energy for the trails that would be ideal as there will be plenty of climbing when going back up to other trails.

I did the back climb once two months ago and it was torture, it was a scorcher of a day and it felt endless. Did it the other day and it was grand, 23 minutes for me to get to the junction past Zipper compared to around 30 minutes if I go up via the blue trails.

I can't stand the climb out of Cool Runnings so I'm happy to do the back climb for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Enjoyed some of the new/ revamped trails over the weekend on the gravel bike, although caught out a bit by Housebound going straight down to the trail head rather than to the top of Home Run. Easy Rider into Cool Runnings a definite improvement on the fire road (I assume easy rider there a long time, just not marked?) given the talk of the climbing.

I was also a bit surprised Zipper was a Red trail, same as Bump n Grind - I wouldn't really have them as the same level?

My main takeaway was having to stand in from e-Mtb's flying up zipper - must get one of those things!

Peaty-Steps is my new favourite trail in Ireland at the moment. Lovit!

Yes, agree, great section of trails, although still need to master some of the doubles on steps. Think I need to session it to build up the confidence to clear them.

Advertisement