Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents will change due to siblings divorce

• 07-01-2023 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My dad having to update his will due to a couple of my siblings going through divorce. Both siblings have asked to be taken out of the will due to both going through divorces. One where the divorce is in progress (getting messy), the other where it will commence within 12 months (hoping it will be more straightforward as there are no assets). My dad is finding this hard (that they want the will changed) and wishes he didn't have to write them out of it. Is there any way to keep them In his will but protect their inheritance from claims by either spouse against it while the legal proceedings are going on?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Is it not just a temporary measure encase your dad dies during the divorce proceedings?

I imagine once divorce is finalized the spouses won't have a claim on future earnings.....or a limited claim if kids are involved.

They can be added back in to the will once the divorce is finalized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Can wills be conditional? I.e. if son one is divorced then he gets X, if not divorced then he gets X only once his divorce is completed.

Or can funds be out into a trust and not released until the divorce is finalised.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Advertisement