Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil Boiler on it's last legs, what are our options?

• 07-01-2023 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Our oil boiler, which is 20 years old, is close to death. Our plumber has said it will cost 3000 to replace and there are no grants for under 65 for oil boiler.

We are just wondering, what are our alternatives. Our house was C1 when we bought. We have pumped the walls, added more insulation to attic and put new front door on house. So we possibly might be at B3 now.

Air to water worries me as I have a feeling our electricity bills could be astronomical as our house isn't A standard.

Is going for a new oil boiler the only real option, or is there anything else I should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Hi,

I replaced my 20 year internal oil boiler a couple of years ago with a Grant condensing boiler, and added zoned heating and trv's on the radiators. Have noticed a huge difference. There were no grants at the time. 3K sounds about right and that included the zoned heating and tvr's along with installing the new boiler. I've noticed a huge difference in heat and oil consumption.

Don't know a lot about retro fitting air to water only the equipment takes up a lot of room compared to an oil burner.

Plus, I sold my second hand boiler on DoneDeal for €50 to a fellow who breaks it up for parts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

I would not consider 20 years old for an oil boiler. I know it's stating the obvious, but oil boilers basically have two parts - the cast iron boiler part that the water passes through etc. (this has no mechanical or moving parts) and the oil burner that's mounted on this boiler. Chances are that all you need is a new oil burner which should cost under €400.00 fitted. Before fitting new burner give the boiler a good clean, this is a straight forward process, all you need is a good wire brush and hoover. Just remove front panel by undoing nuts at four corners, take out baffles and give everything a good scrub down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If €3k for an oil boiler scares you then don't look into air to water. They cost a hell of a lot more to install than the oil boiler

Heat pumps are fantastic but they have to be done correctly and the house has to be very well insulated /air tight. All complaints about heat pumps can be traced back to bad installation or home not suitable

Advertisement