Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting internet out to Log Cabin from house

Options
  • 07-01-2023 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Anyone any advice on getting out to log cabin from house ?Something like cable kings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭bfclancy2

is log cabin on same electricity circuit as main house if so a power line adaptors will work well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭munsterfan2

What is the distance ? This will affect wifi / ethernet / powerline choices. If you have a duct, outdoor CAT5 would be most reliable as you could put a wifi AP in the Log Cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

how far is it? ours is about 15m from the house and I moved one of our mesh-WiFi units to a window facing the cabin which was sufficient to get signal to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For the past couple of years I've used point to point directional WiFi (same frequencies as normal WiFi but very narrow beam) and they've been very reliable but are limited (in my application) to about 100Mb/s, so now that I have gigabit fibre I'm looking to upgrade to cables.

If you can be bothered run cat 6 cable, use either outdoor rated in a duct or the armoured stuff suitable for direct burial. There are several cable and connector types and it's a bit of a headwreck tbh, but once it's set up that'll be the simplest and fastest solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement