Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident pay

Options
  • 08-01-2023 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I had accident in work but didn't report until the following day as I was so much more pain the following day, currently out getting sick pay, should this be down as accident pay and not affect my sick pay intitlement ?

Post edited by Spear on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What is accident pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In Ireland there's no statutory right to paid accident leave, separate from paid sick leave. There's a (just-introduced) statutory right to paid sick leave, which would be available whether or not your absence was due to accident.

Your contract of employment may provide more generous rights than the statutory minimum and, in particular, it may provide for paid sick leave above the statutory minimum and/or for separate paid accident leave, but your entitlements here will depend on what your contract says and, obviously, we can't tell you what that is. If your employer does provide paid accident leave then, yeah, you should make sure that the leave you are currently taking is correctly categorised.

Separately, you may be entitled to compensation if the accident is one for which your employer is responsible, and you are at a loss as a result (including loss of earnings because you don't have, or run out of, paid leave entitlements). Most employers have insurance to cover this and, in practice, assessment of your accident and your entitlement to compensation may be handled by the employer's insurer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with boards.ie. Moving to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

Advertisement