Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2023 BBC, Eurosport 8th - 15th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Brilliant finish by Willo there to get over the line.

I saw on the BBC Two highlight show they showed the wasp incident and presented it as a humorous moment. I don't think it's in the slightest bit funny rather it's a total shambles of an incident.

I agree it shouldn’t have happened at all but at the same time there was something quite funny about Higgins jumping around the arena and the ref bating a wasp off the cameraman 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

He's one of the nicest lads you could ever wish to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Day is a bit of a bottler

• Advertisement

Shocked to see Judd performance. I wonder if he’s a bit distracted after those pool tournaments in the US😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Feel bad for Day but he had his chances

Was a very close match all the same just a shame about that free ball. It really did come down to that at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

I don’t get Murphy spending so much time on the pundit side of things while still in the tournament …. In the studio yesterday on commentary today …just seems strange .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He is very good at it in fairness. Half thinking to myself he should commentate on his own games!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Loads of them too many to mention Hendry had it spot on called it Day would get edgy if did not win 6-3. Turned out entertaining but was like watching a club match.

Even ‘flog it’ was entertaining after it. An auld wan sold an antique microscope and slides for 3800 was only supposed to go for 700. 😮

But when you put Ryan Day’s game v Trump under the microscope it was his positional play that let him down constantly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wilson 0-4 down and top break just 14.. considering the opportunities he’s had, that’s outrageously poor.

15 balls potted by Kyren vs 106 for Stuart.

I had this match down as a close one. If you asked me to put money on it I wouldn't have known who to call as the winner. Maybe it is just because I underestimate Bingham?

But he has gotten well over 550 centuries and has has had 9 maximums in his career that is some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bingham's showing unbelievable touch this evening. Alot of shots played that were rolling up inch perfect every time. Not alot wrong with table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bingham is a beautiful break builder when he turns up like this.

Interesting what Murphy and Hendry were saying in the interlude there which was basically he has the top game but is inconsistent due to his unorthodox cue action which keeps him from wining more titles.

Wilson living up to his warrior name at last. Fair play to him. 5-3 Bingham now.

Bingham should have been able to snick that red by the black in last frame. It wasn't that sharp an angle. Then he hit that yellow with the rest too hard needed to give it the chance to go in.

Think he's being more sarcastic than funny, and quite right too.

• Advertisement

I find it extremely weird too. He could be judging and commenting on players he could end up playing.

And it's also weird to hear him saying things like they should have played it this way or that when he makes these mistakes himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Waiting for Ronnie vs Williams.....

Of course he makes mistakes? Do commentators and pundits need to have a perfect record or something? 😅

Being able to watch a game and point out where a mistake was made is what informative commentary is about. It would be ridiculous to think that you can’t explain an error made unless you have a 147 break on every match you play😂

As for commentating matches featuring players you might compete against that’s a non issue really too? It’s not like he’s sitting and calling them useless or whatever he’s objectively discussing their high’s and low’s in that match or their overall record. You can’t just expect that retired and out of competition players will always be available to do the comms and I personally like having pro players involved as they obviously have a much keener insight to the whole experience than non players.

Fact is me or you might understand the game very well but we certainly haven’t a clue about how it feels to be at the big table playing an opponent that may be intimidating and how that could impact a player. They can offer the insight only players can and I think it’s very valuable. It would be worthless if they skirted around calling a judgment error or blatant screw up out just because they make them also.

everyone makes mistakes and no one’s above having them talked about.

Of course everyone makes mistakes or misjudges something.

The point is he can go on about "that was careless, there was so much room for error there" yet he'll go and do the same thing. I find that aspect weird. I dunno, I just find it weird...going around judging others while you do the same things they do...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ronnie won't be retiring anyhow .

He wants to break every record now

Again I wouldn’t see anything abnormal about it tbh it’s a game of luck as much as skill sometimes.

Turning into a right battle now at 4-4. Willo with the momentum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ronnie had the better luck in that crucial frame.

That is a lovely clearance for 5-4. Thought he missed the black for a second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Wow. Williams won that frame, I thought O'Sullivan had that in the bag.

Advertisement