Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2023 BBC, Eurosport 8th - 15th January

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Bingham spends too much time talking about the atmosphere like it's a party

In the end he seemed nervous and made poor shots at crucial times

Trump will surely play a lot better but I fancy Williams to win comfortably enough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I Hope Williams wins today, don't think Trump seems to be nervous and lacking confidence the last couple of matches.

Well I don’t want to speak too soon but Williams is already making an impression here tbh.

Okay yeah he’s making his feelings known in frame 1 here. He’s taking no prisoners and I could easily see Williams lifting the trophy tonight.

I'm counting how many times DT says 'Welsh potting machine'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,191 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well that was quite the "right back at ya" from Trump!

Williams taking chances and missing needs to keep it tighter against trump

• Registered Users Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"Shaun. Shaun. Shaun. Testing..." That's not the first time there's been a hiccup on BBC.

Yeah trumps playing more like how I’d expect, I wonder if he just wasn’t bothered v Bingham because he never had any pressure really.

William’s made it very obvious from the opening he was here to win and trump seems to be letting him know “well, so am I!”

Like I’d hope this should turn out to be a very interesting match.

When did someone (or both) wandering out of the arena after every frame start?

I fell out of watching snooker for a long time, only back to it recently, and that's the biggest change I've noticed. Can they really not last a four-frame session? If a session drags on for hours and hours, I can see why you might need a "comfort break" (who invented that appalling phrase??) but this running in and out must be disruptive for both players but especially the one left sitting in his chair waiting.

I'd say it's mostly playing mind games, it really irritates me.

• Advertisement

If one goes the other follows

Presume a lot of it had to do with the mentors getting a quick pep talk from the likes of ebdon

I’d say they’re just off to use the toilet quickly or whatever. In fairness the breaks between frames tend to go on a bit longer now as well.

Ebdon is usually shown about 20 times sitting in the middle of the crowd, not sure he'd have time to leg it to the jacks for a quick word between frames!

I wish they'd either severely limit the carry-on, or put a stop to it altogether. How did Bill Werbenuik and Alex Higgins manage, skulling pints of lager for hours and hours on end???

Trump is gonna wish he didn’t ask for that snooker to be put back. 😂

never mind. Jesus Williams..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

From sublime to stink from Williams in 2 shots.

Honestly it was such a wonderful pot then to follow it up with the yellow but worse than anything leaving a red on so trump can come on and do what he’s doing now.

He’s got some marvellous cue work (Williams) but he needs to capitalise. He’s just taking really nice shots and not following through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I think there is a bit more time between frames to allow for commercial breaks on Eurosport and ITV. Players are responding to that. And making some use of the extra minute or two.

Usually the person who dictates the break off is a lead cameraman who signals to the referee when the commercial channel is back from the ad break. The referee already had the balls set up with a minute or two to spare.

Well this is not how I was expecting the first session to pan out at all!

I thought the exact opposite would happen - Trump a bit nervy and Williams pouncing on every chance, and being rock solid.

Interesting afternoon ahead!!

Yea was thinking myself that’s what it’s for. ES has ads every frame so makes sense the players píss off for 5 mins during it.

in fairness I wonder if it helps them play a bit better too, having 5 mins extra to stretch your legs or use the toilet etc.

Jimmy White had a go (a few goes!) at the Brecel rest-on-the-cushion shot, and made an absolute balls of it!

• Advertisement

Jesus, Ken had his Weetabix this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Jimmy made a right hash at his attempts. It is a very low percentage shot to take on, has to be struck really sweetly, but Ken certainly stroked it nicely.

Yea looks likes Williams started to wake up a bit there. Must have an espresso or something during the interval.

😂

made himself sick lolololol

Game back on, by the looks of things!

What was in those roasties????

While I don’t care for a stalemate I will say I don’t like this rereack stuff. It’s not technically against any rules fair enough but in finals matches I don’t know. I think in friendly matches fair enough but official ones should follow all official rules and until it’s added as allowed or not allowed it should be left.

They re racked at the start of the last frame there, just after break off

So they did! I was out rescuing the washing from the line, and missed it - but in fairness if you blinked, you'd have missed it.

WTF???

• Advertisement

Like I said it’s not technically against any rules so they are allowed provided both players are asking for it. But at the same time there’s a hundred different things that are not in the rules but you just don’t do..

seems mad to me that there’s more emphasis placed on not conceding during your opponent’s turn than there is about just re breaking if things go a bit stale at the start of a match. In a friendly exhibition do whatever in an official match it should not be tolerated.

Advertisement