Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me identify this bird

Options
  • 08-01-2023 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Anyone have any idea what this bird is, it was taken last summer in North Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Looks like a young buzzard

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭indy_man

There are some buzzards in the area according to the bio diversity map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Buzzard. They regularly feed on the ground on earth worms and frogs are one of their favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 irishguy1012

Any idea what this bird is please? Spotted in Botanic Gardens today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Female blackcap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Am I bonkers or could I have heard a corncrake on the Eastern side of Three Rock, Dublin?

I heard the distinctive "crakk-crakk" and immediately googled it for similar sounds and it was exactly as it was online. No sighting, just the call. The area is scrub surrounded by pasture.

There's been a handfull of reports so far this year from Tory Island and Inishbofin but none in Dublin (or anywhere else 😔). That's not to say it's not a corncrake, but it would be most unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Could be Red Grouse - google a call recording to see??

I had a listen, it's not the same at all, but I can see why you thought of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wondering whether it could even have potentially been a frog croaking, but it's too late for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Not impossible, it could have been on migration at this time of the year.

We do have frogs around here, but it wasn't the call of a frog.

Actually - you know what, on hearing that audio it must have been a pheasant as we do have them around here. Disapointing that it wasn't an interloping corn-crake, but we can discount it now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Heard this bird for the first time two days ago. North Strand area of Dublin.

Can't find anything like it in native birds. Didn't catch sight of it at all.

Apologies for portrait format of video, big gap between calls and random shots of my bathroom.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LI9uuKAwiyU

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd have said it is a wren but the pitch sounds slightly off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The general sound of it is very like a wren, but 'the words in the wrong order', so to speak. :)

Could it be another bird imitating?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wild guess - starling?

Not your ornery onager

I will try see can I get a look at it tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have been recommended - but never tried - the merlin bird identification app from cornell, which might help.

• Advertisement

i just tried it on the merlin app, and it seems fairly confident it's a wren. one of the sample recordings seems a close match to my ears.

What a useful app.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry I don't have a pic, but I was just watching the two buzzards that live close by circling round my garden and adjacent areas when a large bird, very similar to a buzzard with the 'square' ended wings flew over, it didn't have the under wing markings of the buzzard and it was very fast, flying in a straight line rather than circling like the buzzards. It was bigger than a buzzard, with a similar tail, straight rather than spread. I am sure it was a raptor of some sort (ie, it wasn't a crow or similar) but have no idea what it might have been. North Waterford near the Comeraghs. Any ideas?

Not a kite? It would have a forked tail and the most common raptor bigger than a buzzard.

Thank you for that, I did not see it for very long, it was flying very fast, but I don't think I saw a forked tail, and it was not that far away and I did not see the underwing markings, though the buzzard markings were very clear to see. I would like to think it might have been a golden eagle but I realise that is extremely unlikely, but the shape is right and the fact that it looked plain dark underneath, which I gather is what they look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A Golden Eagle wingspan is 6 - 7.5 feet. Buzzard in 3.5 - 4.5 feet. The difference would be immediately noticeable.

Well that was the most noticeable thing, I had been watching the buzzards and they were still circling round, then the size of the other bird was very striking.

Two of us saw it and said more or less simultaneously 'that's not a buzzard!'

Its a possibility, though the wing ends were not fringed like a raven's, I am not familiar with ravens particularly but if they fly like crows then no, it had a different flight style. It was plain dark but on the whole I would have said it was more dark brownish than black. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It was never a juvenile white-tailed sea eagle, no? In a similar situation that you describe, I saw one flying towards me at a midlands lake last year, and immediately thought "whoa... that's not a buzzard!"

This one flew so close that I clearly saw a wing tag, and although it was quite buzzard-like, it was a lot bigger! The juveniles are brown.

Advertisement