Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sewer pipe subsidence underground

• 08-01-2023 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Was experiencing some drain blockage in last few weeks, was able to unblock it with rods but problem always returned within a couple of weeks.

Got a drain cleaning service, the lads jetted it and put their camera down, was clear to maybe 5 metres (after unblocking) but the camera showed submergence in water after this for a few metres before re emerging from the water before we could see the sewer.

They explained it looked like the sewer pipe had subsided, and we could either rod it (but invest in proper good set of rods) aswell as pouring a wheelie bin of water quickly down the drain, or we'd need to dig up our brick driveway and replace the pipe.

Problem is the sewer is across the street, off our property and we would not have permission if the problem was to extend further out.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Have a bit of experience.

There are no-dig systems for repairing breaks in pipes from inside The pipe using a fiberglass sleeve. This might or might not work in your situation.

the survey should have given you a fairly exact idea where you would have to dig.

It is important to figure out how deep everything is. If you needed to go five feet down, it would require a pretty big hole.

It is important figure out what the cause of this subsidence might have been. It sounds like maybe there wasn’t enough fill under the drainpipe? If so I guess you might have to dig it.

If the problem requires you to dig between the edge of your property and the public sewer, you will need a licence from the local authority to excavate the road as far as I know. You or your builder will need to talk to the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Is it a pricey job? Would house insurance cover it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the drain can be repaired with no digging, I’d say low thousands. If you need to excavate it really depends on the depth and the finish. I’d say mid-thousands.

insurance? I don’t know. I’d say it depends on cause. If it’s an inherent flaw in the construction (installed wrongly to start with) rather than an accident (a heavy vehicle driving over it) I don’t think there is much chance. But I really don’t know. It could be that this was caused by heavy machinery during construction. I don’t know where that would leave you.

If the problem is outside your property boundary, then maybe Irish Water or the local authority would fix it on basis damage was caused during construction of road and footpaths? I really don’t know. (In general terms you are responsible for the drain until it meets the main sewer.)

Advertisement