Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior Chess Events

Options
  • 09-01-2023 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to Eamon Keogh on winning the over 65s Irish Championship today, a great achievement at his age. This event is one of my favourite on the chess calendar and this view is shared by all who compete in it. There is a sense of camaraderie, friendhship and mutual respect that you just don't get at any other tournament. It is great to meet up with guys that you've known for maybe thirty or forty years, many who don't play in regular tournaments. the games are fiercely fought and because there isn't much rating disparity anybody can beat anybody. Unlike when you are playing kids you can have a pot of tea or a pint with your opponent afterwards and analyze the game together. I spoke to many of the contestants this weekend and asked them why they don't play in regular tournaments and the answer was always the same " i don't like playing booked up kids ". I'm not a big fan of playing kids myself but I don't avoid doing so, even though it costs me dearly rating wise, but it is an undoubted deterrent for most senior players. There was about 30 players in the over 65s this weekend and another 15 or 16 in the over 50s so there is definitely a demand for these senior events. Perhaps we could have more senior events during the year? Having senior prizes at regular tournaments is well and good but it's not going to bring out the guys who don't want to play kids, what we need are separate sections and separate tournaments for us "oldies".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

Totally agree with the above. I would love to see another tourn for seniors during the year. This year's was super organised and run to the usual high excellent standard as previous years. I didn't do too well this time around but looking forward to the next one already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

There's extra prizes for over 50's at the Sligo Congress this week. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

I just saw that I could drive to the European Senior individual venue, would be about 8 hours which is not too bad.

My question is looking at the document, they are kind of still trying to pull the fast one of only booking accommodation through the organisers, which is illegal obviously, so now they don't make it so direct they just say "strongly advised".

Any feedback from anybody has played previously appreciated, I hope/expect we don't have to follow the rip off accommodation choices in the document

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I played in it in Sardinia. We booked the resort through the organisers and it was fantastic value , something like 116 per night full board (including wine) for my partner and I. Beautiful resort, great food, lovely nearby beach, nightly live music. One of the best tournaments and trips that I've ever been on. Too many tournaments don't have anything for accompanying wives/girlfriends but this one was fantastic.

P.S Aqui Terme is supposed to be a bit of a bore so I wouldn't expect this year's event to be anything like Sardinia. If you are looking for a top class event in a beautiful location try Formentera (same organisers as Sitges without so many underrated Indian kids)

• Advertisement

cheers will have a look, I am kind of interested to make my debut on the senior tour though and not play Indian or Uzbek under-rated sharks, on that you are right

There should be some allowance for losing to players with what are undoubtedly silly ratings. I'm playing in Malaga at Easter and I questioned why an unrated 10 yr old Chinese player was playing in the over 1850 section only to be told that he recently had a 2200+ rating performance. You can bet your bottom dollar that I will get to play him and that will be another 20 rating points down the toilet. I've played a load of these under rated kids since the Covid break and it has (unfairly in my opinion) cost me a stack of rating points. It is no wonder that most Senior players avoid playing in Opens or in tournaments where rating floors aren't observed.

The rating system is not perfect, its just a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Eugene wrote (above) "I would love to see another tourn for seniors during the year."

I am considering running a Seniors tournament in the west of Ireland, but I am not sure how much interest there would be. Many hotels offer fairly attractive packages for events in the off-season, and I gather they put on successful bridge tournaments; but chess players are notoriously less inclined to part with their cash than bridge players are, so I don't know if it would be viable. I'd welcome any thoughts. (I'd welcome even more any sponsorship!)

Depending on when it was, I'd be interested. I am becoming bored trying to compete with youngsters who just trot out a load of theory. Senior tournamenst are far more enjoyable.

• Advertisement

Thanks Pete. I would be interested as well of course. I'd want to see the overall cost though before committing. For example I thought the cost of the hotel in Sligo was fantastic value and a wonderful hotel, (€90 per night single room incl breakfast and 270 for three nights was manageable for me), as well as with superb tournament organisation and facilities. Lastly a word of appreciation to all of you who organise tournaments that the rest of us can enjoy and benefit from.

90 Euro per night is steep enough. I remember playing in Galway once and getting a lovely B&B for 4 quid a night, admittedly it was a while ago but even these days you can get full board in Spain or Portugal for a lot less than 90 euro a night which is why I play as many foreign tournaments as Irish ones these days.

Had to read that 4 quid a night twice ! Yes I suppose it is steep but then again not really in the Irish Hotels scheme of things these days which is appalling. I thought 90 was good in the context of current hotel prices for eg re upcoming Galway tournament "€125.00 for Friday night and €149 for Saturday night for a Single Room" and these are "reduced" prices secured by the organisers. Personally I wouldn't pay that. I don't go away to tourns very often and when I do its a treat so I'll pay to stay in the same venue just for the comfort of it. I'm not great for flying off to tourns being a bit of a home bird.

I wish that tournament organisers would bear cost in mind when they choose venues. I remember booking the Bunratty Hotel once through someone like booking .com and I got a free a la carte dinner compared to the "special" tournament deal. Similarly at some foreign tournaments I got much better rates through internet firms than the "reduced" rates the organisers offered.

Thanks - that's a very helpful piece of info..

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭RooksPawn

I would advise Joe that the organisers for the European seniors in Acqui Terme are the same crowd who have run previous FIDE senior tournaments to the displeasure of many entrants. The Sardinia organisers are a different company with a better reputation.

Joe, why not consider playing on an Irish senior team at the European Senior Teams Championship in Poland in July?

In the past Gerry MacElligott has organised these but I'm not sure he is available this year.

A Senior tournament at a holiday hotel in the West would certainly be welcome if the rates are attractive and the venue accessible by train but I suppose it would have to be out of high season. Maybe Westport?

Advertisement