Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - builders still going in after keys handed over?

Options
  • 09-01-2023 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

I bought a new build and was given the keys last Tuesday. Since then, I've gone to the house every day to put some stuff in cupboards/closets until my floors are put in, and I lock the door every day. And I triple check that it's locked. Every morning when I get back to the house, the door is unlocked.

I know it's not that I don't lock it, because it's not like the door sticks and I can't tell if I can open it or not. It opens very swiftly every morning without me putting my key in. Is it possible that because it's a new lock, it somehow doesn't lock properly and unlocks itself? Or is it likely someone from the builders is still going in every day? I can't see what they would still be doing in the house and I would assume once keys are handed over they wouldn't go in anymore. But it makes me very uncomfortable knowing someone might still be coming in ever day, as I'm moving in this weekend.

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

once you have the keys it's your house anyone entering without your permission is trespassing.

We had something similar where they were still using out house for electricity while we were waiting for the floors to go in. Only found out when I popped over during working house one day and saw them charging batteries and the like and running cables over to a house under construction.

Ask the foreman/site manager did you get all the keys for the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

After having substantial building work done twice on my house where builders had keys for months I changed the front/back lock barrel each time when they were finished. When I moved in initially after about 3 months I found a front door key under a stone outside, obviously used by builders at the time but I didn't know it was there but I imagine a burgler would have had a good look!

Worth the small cost for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Thanks! I'll first check with the foreman but honestly for piece of mind, I may just have the lock replaced!

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

First thing to do when buying any property - new or used - is get the locks changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Oh really? First house I bought. I thought with a new build that wasn't necessary, but it definitely feels like the safe bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Buy new locks, you just need the barrels (with new keys obviously) they are pretty cheap and it's an easy 5 min job to swap them.

Do all the external doors, front, back and patios.

Advertisement