Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof dungstead or not?

Options
  • 09-01-2023 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

Just watched Farmer Phils' father walk around and his wishlist (pretty much like my own - machinery shed, better handling/loading facilities) One thing he said was he would like to cover the dungstead, now I had planned to build a small one here and cover it but reading an article online a farmer claimed dung rotted down faster with a bit of rain to keep it moist. I believe he had a telehandler so he would be able to stack higher and footprint lower though. Went on a few farmwalks with a view to joining organic and I think most had L shaped unroofed steads alright. Anyone here have either? would you change either way if you could

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭monseiur

Not sure if covering dungstead is a good idea. The decomposing bacteria need up to 60% moisture, there is also the danger of overheating which would kill off worms and other organisms required for the decomposing process (In a rare extreme situation overheating could be a fire hazard)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Perhaps build it in a way where it can be roofed with a high roof, could double up for other uses when empty if need be. Regs would mean catching all the water that falls in it anyway.

I think adding a bit of topsoil and turning every so often would help it breakdown as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

Under new regulations coming in do dungs steads have to be covered for 2027 or is that just slurry storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭minerleague

Yes that was my idea, high roof ( for contractor machinery anyway) would be part ( 1 bay ) of bigger general purpose shed. Suppose could turn water hose on it the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would roofing negate the need for an effluent tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭emaherx

I doubt it,

But I'd imagine it could be a lot smaller as there would be much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

fuk it out in a heap in a quiet corner of a field away from prying eyes job done 10k spared

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's another idea on this too if on concrete.

Seen online of a couple in England that successfully made bokashi from fym in a silage pit. They only piled up the dung a few feet high in the pit. Mixed in oyster shell. Sprayed with microbes. Then covered it with a plastic sheet as you would silage. In a few weeks it was made and ready to spread. There'd be a sweet smell off this too. Hard to believe but Sin E.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Diarmuid B

I built one last year with the tams grant along with a slatted shed. But a T junction at the pipe at the front so I can channel the effluent into the tank in winter, and then in summer channel the clean water away into a separate pipe and away from the tank. The rules then stated it either had to be roofed or you had to have a tank to take the effluent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think it rots down quicker outside. Last summer we stacked some dung at one end of the shed that it was bedded in and it got very hot in the middle. It was mostly wood chip though. I should have turned it every 2 days, with the benefit of hindsight to stop it over heating. It was our first time stacking dung in a shed.

Normally we stack it against a wall in a silage pit and collect the effluent in the slats, bit of topsoil or old dung from last year mixed through it helps break it down. It was like topsoil when it was spread in September.

If you have to add water don’t use water with chlorine in it as it will kill the bacteria. I think turning it a few times while it is stacked and the little bit of topsoil is the trick. The best place to get the topsoil is from under mature beech trees as there’s lots of fungi there.

Top pic is the wood chip stuff that was stacked in a shed and bottom pic is the stuff stacked outside.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Anyone got a proper windrow composting system hoing on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think Purcell’s organic farm in S Tipp are doing it.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Saw that at open day, supposed to be the best way of handling it, but not for the amount I'd have

Thats what I do now, (hard to get away from prying eyes now)or else leave it build up in shed until spreading. Field gets messy putting it out and at spreading time, doesn't rot down fully if left undisturbed in shed. Effluent would be going into existing slatted shed

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Could farmer Phil use the front half of the silage slab for dung and let the back half of the slab empty and send the clean rain water to water course??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbour did one for the grant and he has it sloping to the back,

If effluent comes out it has to be tanked, it's the same as if you were straw bedding cattle,

You're alright if there's no effluent coming out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But why do we need to compost the dung heap.we just fire it out in the spring when we are reseeding ground.alot nicer than looking at it for the year

Traditionally put dung out in late Autumn, no tillage or reseeding done to plough fresh manure in. Its about having somewhere to put say waste silage, bedding from calving pens during the winter when land is too wet to travel also.

Think on balance I'll roof it like planned ( won't be huge anyway and 1 wall already exists )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭893bet

I think composting helps kill seeds of weeds etc being one big advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

Soil uses up nitrogen breaking down dung too

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RockOrBog

Afaik fresher dung is more acidic and not as good, I leave for 6 months and turned it once with the digger in the meantime and it spreads and breaks down well. It's great stuff for fertility.

I see the neighbours spread straight away in spring, old silage and straw lying on top of the ground for weeks.

• Advertisement

Came across a UK farmer on youtube - Billy Lewis, who does a bit of composting. Over winter he keeps it under a roof to keep it from getting too wet (becoming anaerobic) Interestingly in light of ban on burning bushes he chips light materiel into the heap and turns narrow rows every so often out in the field keeping a small bit of previous years stuff to add microbes. Nice HE cows too

Advertisement