Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone care to share experiences, costings and recommendations Moving from USA to irel

• 09-01-2023 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We are moving home to Ireland after living in Midwest USA for 5 years, got a quote for 20ft container for 16k. Can’t do that, advise?

Post edited by Spear on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2 faddler

Thank you for taking the time and letting me have this info. I am finding it hard to let it sink in but, I have reached this conclusion too except I was hoping to find a less expensive way. In the 5 years I have been here I have taken up quilting and have gathered quite the collection of ‘stuff’ so I know it has to go, My biggest challenge is letting it go in my head. A little reminder of what we can bring with us in our life and what matters besides our physical…….nothing….thank you again and best wishes

Answers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭SweetSand

The price sounds about right. We have friends who moved from Boston back to Ireland last July, they paid around $24K for 40’ container. They moved in July, container was suppose to arrive in September, no truck drivers were available on US side to get container to the port, they only got their stuff at the very end of November.

My very best advise (moved few times internationally) - sell as much as you can (Craigslist, Facebook market place and etc), give stuff to friends, get rid of the most you can. Honestly, if you are saving $16K in shipping + proceeds from sale of stuff - you ll buy brand new in Ireland. All electric stuff needs to go anyway and honestly, we made that mistake ourselves - like bringing our Irish super king size bed/mattress to US to realise that we can’t buy any bed linen because of the size. You don’t need most of that stuff unless you have something exclusive, definitely not worth shipping IKEA stuff. After you get rid of most of it - I recommend getting those clear ikea heavy duty zipper bags for $5 and using them instead of suitcases for your flight (as they weigh nothing and you can put so much in) + paying for few extra bags with the airline. If there is something bulky you absolutely must bring back - I would look for split container option. You might be waiting for it for a bit longer but it will def be cheaper.

Advertisement