Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3gan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Saw it tonight - tongue in cheek horror comedy with some fun scenes. Well worth a cinema trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I was reading about it.

Hollywood toned it down, censored it, cut it and ruined it.

It was originally meant to be much gorier. There's rumours that an uncut proper version of the film may come later so I'd wait for that. The censors, execs and A-holes at the top in Hollywood like to ruin everything and that's what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ya, Id read that alright. Tends to happen alot, movies get toned down for cinematic releases to get a lower rating then the home releases are released uncut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

don't mind it too much, once they release to gorier version after as well !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

haven't seen it, but any screenshots make me just think the doll looks like Una Healy :Team America

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The descriptions I've heard make it sound like an evil version of Klara and the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sherrupyew

Watched this tonight. It was fun! More funny than scary. Don't expect a dark and moody horror film - that's not what this is.

It's basically one big joke on how we've recklessly outsourced parenting responsibilities to technology.

There was a lot of audience laughter.

I actually think the producers/execs probably made the right call here. The film is very accessible and really doesn't need extreme blood and guts. It's not particularly scary, but it doesn't need to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this last night and its basically a "Childs play" reboot. I expect there'll be multiple sequels to follow. The movie itself was decent enough, the audience I saw with where howling with laughter but personally I didnt find it funny at all. And Im not saying that in an indignant way or anything like that, its just not what I would consider funny. The girl playing the little girl, Katie was excellent though and I think she could be a star in the future. Good soundtrack and bizarrely enough it was the second time that day i'd heard the Skatt bros, the other time being on an episode of "Chippandales" on Disney+.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Would echo most of the comments on here, predictable but enjoyable, not scary at all really. It did have quite a few laughs for me.

Main kid is really good, M3gan is creepy.

I would say will be a few more of these given the box office and plenty of places to go with it to be fair. Blumhouse with another smash on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Fun film, ending clearly telegraphed early on and it's clearly set up for sequels but really glad I saw it in the cinema.

I assume either Kurt sent on the documents or M3gan interacted with his laptop to send them, easily sets up a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

After reading loads of glowing reviews, I had my hopes raised, but as anyone who grew up on 80/90's horror, what the hell was this? Been done (numerous) times before. Am I missing something?

It's obviously more polished and slick a production than an 80's horror, but plot wise it's a rehash. Give me Childs Play any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have to say I absolutely loved it and while it clearly was originally meant to be r-rated, it doesn't really suffer much from the obvious cuts.

Hugely entertaining, good pace, and some solid laughs amidst all the inevitable mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,715 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, quite enjoyed as well. It's quite fun, and really keeps moving. Conceptually of course there's similarities to Childs Play (though the messaging is totally different), but the PG-13 aspect is what really helps set it apart I think. Fun and creepy more than scary. There were families with ~10 year olds at the screening I went to, and they seemed to have a great time with it.

That kid is having a great wee career so far too - was very good in Haunting of Hill House as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭delboy85

I watched it today. I really enjoyed it.

Thought it was good fun.

And a refreshing runtime of just 100 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I saw thiis Saturday and I enjoyed it.

It didn't take itself too seriously but I found it well made and made one think of the potential dangers of AI.

Wouldn't agree with those at the start of the thread saying that its should include gore. It's not a censors decision either but a film can be more accessible and successful with a lower age rating and also a lot of times implied terror is scarier than just showing everything on screen.

Shared the cinema with lots of annoying teenagers, who chat a lot or constantly on their phones, so annoying but the film did grab them and there was plenty of laugther.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It’s pretty good just be aware it’s a teen movie. The violence is pretty tame. There is maybe one bit that might make you squirm. I would have preferred it to be more violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched this on the phone. My brother and his daughter went to see this in the cinema and when he said he had been to see it I had not even heard of it. Glad I did not see it in the cinema honestly that beginning was terrible a fecking advertisement before the film has even started that's actually part of the film lol.

I found it quiet funny in parts and wow in others but ye not really gory.

Megan was very weird right from the get go.

If humans are ever ho have intelligent adaptive robots or androids we will have to make sure that are programmed right and have a remote emergency off switch incase they go awol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I enjoyed it but I think it suffered from the lack of gore and body count. I'm a huge horror film fan so I suppose I'm a little biased but it just lacked bite.

I'll probably give the uncut version a watch when it's inevitably released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Not what I'd consider a horror, bit of light hearted fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Unrated version gonna be released digitally later this month then on blu next month. More gore apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Strong echoes of Child's Play as previously mentioned. Considering the condensed runtime it took a bit too long to get introduced to Megan. Felt like it would have been far better rated 18's with some edgier/gorier sequences.

The actor who played Alison Williams boss gave one of the worst acting performances I've seen in quite a while.

All in all it was a fairly accessible "horror" but as a fan of the genre I found the accessibility aspect of it to it's detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I had a lot of fun with this and was thoroughly entertained. To me it played more like one of those pulpy domestic thrillers from the 90s, like The Hand that Rocks the Cradle or Single White Female (which I love) and leaned into the camp aspects of those. I didn't miss the gore at all, I don't think it needed that, I just wish we had gotten more bitchy one-liners from M3GAN!

Advertisement