Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New kero burner

• 10-01-2023 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to improve my heating system once the weather improves. Current one is a 24 year old oil burner. I was eyeing up costs which are around 3k. I read a thread on here suggesting just to replace the burner itself. If this is doable I would like to put the savings towards fitting a new insulated hot water cylinder, fitting trv's, possible flushing the system if needed etc. My current tank is copper with a lagging jacket. Are the foam insulated ones much more efficient?

Im just looking for ball park figures on the folowing, Fitting TRV's, Fitting a foam insulated cylinder.

So its either fit a new oil boiler unit itself {condensing one} or just replace my burner and improve other aspects of the heating system, I cant afford both.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Fitting a new burner won't improve efficiency unless there's something wrong with the old one, in which case it can be repaired.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

So maybe a service and do the other work? As far as I know the burner is fine. I just know from its age there are some parts that could do with replacing. I cleaned out the baffle plates myself etc. But I know the last time I had a lad out he didn't have the jet to replace the existing ones so just left it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Annual service can pay for itself, even moreso now with fuel costs. Make sure your service tech has a combustion analyser to get the most out of your litre of kerosene. I (and I expect most service tech's) carry a wide range of nozzles and would always have a suitable nozzle, unless it was a very strange beast.

Self cleaning can be a double edged sword unless you have a way to set the combustion parameters afterwards.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thanks wearB. The outfit I'll get onto look to be a legit outfit. Based In Mullingar. I'll get onto them and take their advice.

Advertisement