Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Retirement - no one seems to know how to process it/who to send forms to in my company

• 10-01-2023 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I'm taking early retirement from my company on 31st March. I have sent in the relevant Form twice since last December, and both times it has been lost by by Head of Department. Then they said they found it and would forward it to HR and Salaries. They were supposed to send it on to Salaries who would send it on to the Pension Company (Private pension). The pension company say they can't accept my leaving date but have to have it in writing from my company's salary dept. I have emailed the salary dept 3 x times about it since mid December, but no response. HR said they have never done an early retirement before, and it is not their job, and have never received the form with my leaving date. I am moving abroad on 31st March, and need to know it's sorted. This is also a company who paid me an extra 1k in salary but when I told them never responded either. What can I do if they continue not to respond? I can just see a situation where this will still be going on until late February. I can see myself then threatening to, or writing to the Pension Ombudsman. It was a stressful place to work, and I want out - a clean break - and I will need the money anway to set up abroad. Is there anything else I can do.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like it's an internal matter between you and your employer.

I'd request a meeting with the head of H.R.

Present the facts and make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This is really an internal matter, so I don't know that we can help much here...

One thing I would say is stop using emails, if people receive too many some will fall by the waste side and if they want to avoid you it is easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It's been a good few years since I worked in pension team, but back then the process was.

You finished work

HR (or payroll) notified pension company you were finished, date of last payment, date of leaving etc.

After this you'd (or your broker) contact pension company looking for retirement option forms, they'll calculate values as at that date.

You complete the forms, trustee of scheme needs to sign off if you were looking for early retirement.

Get the money!

Not much you can do in advance of your leaving date. Pension company can't do anything even if they know you are leaving in advance of leaving dates. (ie can't sign the forms now and have them action on a future date - they'll work off date all completed paperwork is received to their office.)

Advertisement