Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitting rates

Options
  • 10-01-2023 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

My niece, who is a very responsible 14 year old, will start babysitting my 3 year old son shortly. We'll probably start off with a local meal at first and only be out of the house for 2-3 hours. But we hope to attend a party in March which will mean that we're out until about 1am and my niece can stay over in our house that night.

I'm just wondering what the going rates for a babysitter are these days, especially one who is a family member? Should I pay by the hour or just one lump sum. For example, I was thinking maybe 20 euro if we're only gone for 2-3 hours but closer to 50 euro if we're out from 7.30pm-1am. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We give 10 per hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

We have a neighbours daughter babysitting an odd time. She's 14/15.Kids are normally ready for bed so the girl is just watching tv or on the bb. Last time we were away 4 and a half hours and gave her €40 which she seemed happy with.

Regarding an all night stay I would chat to her mam or dad

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I have a 15 year old daughter who occasionally babysits for friends. Generally just a few hours. I have told them €20-€25 is plenty. She doesn't need access to much more cash than that!

Occasionally if it's a long day/evening they give her €30. She's thrilled with whatever she gets.

Talk to her parents about what everyone's expectations are. You don't want to give her too much/too little by her parents standards.

We were paying 10e per hour a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

20 quid for a few hours, kids are in bed by the time we go out so she's sits there and watches TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Would anyone know what is the current rate for a reliable babysitter somewhere like Galway? I'm not sure what to offer when looking for someone, or do I just ask them what they charge and take them at their word?

Advertisement