Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatic transmission: Irish vs Japan

• 10-01-2023 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Ya'll

I have been reading some threads which said something along the lines that gear transmission in irish cars is shite and the imports are a way to go (specifically From japan).

I already have an import Honda Insight 2010 and i have no complains so far but i am looking to upgrade co family is expanding. Should i only look for imports? I am looking for a family car. preferably SUV and definitely Automatic.

Is it cheaper/ better to get a car imported directly or from here (like carstore.ie). Also, any other reliable place for imports?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭User1998

Doesn’t really matter where the car is from. They are all the same. Toyota used different gearboxs years ago but I don’t think they do that anymore.

Its cheaper to import directly, but takes a lot of time and hassle. Better to buy in Ireland if your inexperienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The risk with a JDM is the lack of factory immobiliser. Even if the car you buy has one the scumbags will still try to steal it and then you'll have an expensive repair bill. A neighbour gets around this by clamping their car.

My last couple of cars have been Irish market autos and I never had any issues. My radio/infotainment works without a band expander, though I used to enjoy listening to taxis in my JDM when they used FM radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Hi have dealt with Easy Autos in Santry before and all their imports get equipped with an alarm and immobiliser as standard for the ones they sell.

Not sure what part of the country you live in but there is a few big Japanese import suppliers in North Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In some cases JDM cars will have a CVT or torque converter where a Euro spec might have an automated manual box. With Toyota stuff mostly being hybrid now they’ve probably dropped that awful Multimode gearbox in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah, the old Irish Yaris had that gearbox, but I assume its all been streamlined now.

VW/Audi was the same across Japan/Europe

• Advertisement
Advertisement