Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rig [Amazon Prime]

• 11-01-2023 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I have looked up and down and not come across a thread for this amazing show. I could have sworn I seen a thread on Boards for it do but no luck finding it.

Anyway it's a great show. It's mostly based on an oil rig in the North Atlantic but tge odd time you do get see from somewhere else and all the characters are giving plenty of time to grow and some even die.

Just finished watching this.

What a great show.

Really hope it's gets a few more seasons.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enjoyable enough yarn, if someone asked me to describe it I would say...

Roughnecks meets The Fog meets Captain Planet, slightly meets The Full Monty, lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

It was being discussed in the Amazon thread (page 88)

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057771671/amazon-prime-video-general-discussion-ireland#latest

I finished it last night. Liked it, and it's been left sufficiently open for a potential second season.

Good cast, mixed well I thought. Mark Addy's role was a great addition to the later episodes.

Was it really North Atlantic? I thought it was in the North Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I felt The Thing and The Expanse

Martin Compston does not age, still baby faced

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I think when you compare Martin Compston in Line of Duty to The Rig he's actually gotten younger somehow 🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only watched the first episode and this was a really gripping piece of economical storytelling. Some of the FX were a bit rough but not enough to distract. Characters were stock but effectively sketched out before the shít hit the fan. And with only 6 episodes I'm hopeful it'll remain an efficient, tense wee tale.

Iain Glen looks weird though. That oddness when older men are still trying to look 10 years younger but there's too much of the face giving it away imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭MfMan

Throw in a bit of The Terror, with a crew adrift on their own, and Aliens also, with Big Corporation scheming and cover-up.

Bit meh for me. I felt it didn't explain what was causing the horror effectively enough and the plot was a bit disjointed and jumping all over the place. Mark Addy as the Baddie was the best character (and actor) in it. It's currently at 5.9 on IMDB so it remains to be seen if it will have enough critical mass to warrant a sequel. I've a feeling it will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

watched the first episode and thought it was fairly poor. Not a bad story but just looked cheap.

Second episode was a lot better, but really couldn't be arsed with it by the end, so have just read the plot through online to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭cmac2009

From the director of 'The Bodyguard'...thats a skip for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched this and tbh it's only just above standard SyFy channel fare. I really wanted to like it given the cast etc but the script was clichéd and the main actress has the acting ability of a brick.

It will pass the time but don't go watching this with high expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

She was better when she played a deranged woman in the 12 Monkeys TV series a few years ago 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly that suits me fine. Given SyFy barely makes original programming anymore, that's a level that has become sorely lacking these days - low to mid range genre fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had high hopes for this but it's nothing special, completely watchable but it just reminds me of a BBC series.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Finished this tonight and thought it was a bit so so. If I had something more interesting to watch at the moment I wonder if I even would have finished it.

There was a pretty strong contrast in CGI quality throughout the series I thought.

The outdoor sequences looked awful, but the plant spore effects were pretty impressive I thought. That's obviously where the money was spent anyway!

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭kyote00

Watched the first one. Really very formulaic…. Crusty site manager, old grumpier engineer, token black actors and young female wearing white shirt that remains spotless throughout…

wooden acting, terrible special effects, hodgepodge of a storyline

cant think of a single good thing about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭archfi

Really bad plotline/cgi/script, I'm surprised it's at 5.9!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,328 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Rig's biggest problem, is the quality of telly that Apple and HBO are putting out.

On its own, it would be a harmless enough supernatural thriller on a par with Sunday night on BBC1 or Channel 4.

But it isn't. And people are not going to keep paying a tenner subscription for mediocre. Not in these economic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

lost all interest and hope for it about 20mins into 3rd episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmyk

Same, pretty poor. It's like a long drawn out bad Dr. Who episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Butson

Thought it was really poor.

Very woke - do that many women work on oil rigs? Do people sit around watching shows about climate change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we started watching it last night and "Doctor Who with swearing" is what my son described it as, the effects and the acting are at about the same level, but on the plus side it doesn't have Jodie Whittaker talking at 90mph all the time. Enjoyable enough hokum so far, not unlike "The Terror".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

Forced myself to finish it up last night because it would drive me mad to not complete it. Dont waste your time starting this, its utter garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for your service, I was going to start it earlier until I read your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Same, if not sooner. Other half had it on but I zoned out early days. Something very sterile and boring about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I liked it, but I'm easily pleased. Great cast and good story. A second season will be interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I enjoyed it up to about halfway, then It just started hitting every single genre stereotype. - possibly some spoilers below, so be forewarned.

woman trying to prove herself to her mostly male team - check

grizzled vet who knows better than management - check

misunderstood affected guy - check

over the top corporate stooge who cares more about a cover up than saving the crew - check.

its a pity, it started off well, I got 'the thing' or even 'event horizon' vibes for a bit, but I dunno, it just lost me at the midpoint. A braver choice would have had it be a one season and done effort with the ultimate disaster event possibility occurring.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Low-budget Stephen King TV show vibes off it. I had high hopes for that cast and potential storyline but it got way too preachy and the special effects fell off a cliff as it progressed. The splitting sea shelf and wave felt like they'd run out of money and outsourced it to some wannabe special effects nerds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

finished it last night - it's ridiculous but fairly entertaining. Myself and mrs. laughed out loud when

all the extras suddenly appeared on the deck of the rig to be evacuated by helicopter - where had they been for the previous 4 episodes when the main characters had been wandering around a seemingly empty platform? and how did they all get onto one helicopter?

another show it really reminded by of was Sky's "Fortitude" which also featured an isolated group of people battling some unknown pre-historic force.

• Advertisement

Same. It's hitting all the stereotypes and tropes with abandon, but it's all got a good authenticity with its atmosphere and sense of place. Clichés aren't necessarily bad in all cases, just badly used; here it's all perfectly adequate without ever dipping into being exceptional. As I said, it reminds me of exactly the kind of SyFy Channel shows we used to get in the early 2010s or thereabouts (Remembering trash like Helix and the like)

Advertisement