Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rig [Amazon Prime]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Finished it there last week. Enjoyed it for what it was, nothing we haven’t seen before but, maybe, not in that order. Cast was good, Iain Glen has a look of Franco Nero about him.

I can see how it would bug some of those watching, few digs at boomers (and those with boomer mentalities), climate change deniers and other themes that might be seen as WOKE(all caps).

Not sure where it’s going to go with a second season and not sure I’d be too bothered to find out but not the worst show out there.

Post edited by EmmetSpiceland on

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just finished it there now. it was alright, drew heavy influence from The Thing. The Rig is a show i really wanted to like and it has some great things going for it. The setting was inspired, an oil rig out in the North sea, It's not somewhere we've seen much of before. Ian Glen elevates it a star or so and the story is alright. what's really holding it back is the awful writing throughout. Supposedly intelligent people suddenly acting really stupid just so the plot can move on. It gets really annoying when it happens over and over again.there's also just wierd priorities, like people are dying and you're more intirested in holding a grudge at a guy who stood you up one time way back when.

There's also the typical corporate pr!ck who fcuk$ everyone over at every opportunity without realizing that it means they'll shaft him when the time comes. It's also strange that for a guy who is a known sabotour and got people on both platforms killed, he's let wander around wherever without bieng contained or even watched.

There's also no way on earth all those people fit on those two helicopters.

All in all, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either and it could have been something great. I'll probably watch a second season if it's made but I won't be counting down the days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Forced myself to watch it until the end, but in the same way that you get 2/3rds through a book and you realize you're really not enjoying it, but still feel compelled to complete it, as you've already invested so much time waiting for it to get good. I don't ordinarily comment on casting, but felt that Emily Hampshire (Rose) and Owen Teale (Lars) were very poor choices and were not believable at all (though both solid actors). Martin Compston (Fulmer) is always a good watch, but again, couldn't sell me any authenticity in the role he's delivering. Mark Addy's role (as Coake) was like a last minute subplot injection, in order to try and wrap up the story. Was expecting scifi and ended up with poor drama. Iain Glen, Mark Bonnar (briefly), Rochenda Sandall (medic) and Molly Vevers did a good job of grounding the show a little. I thought the Baz character did a decent job after their 'transition' to a more laid back character.

That entire plotline where Lars (who up to this point has been derisive of authority), Grant (the security guy - really?) and the chef (who frequently flips between his role as chef and senior counsel on the rig) suddenly decide to believe everything fed to them by Coake, only to flip back a few minutes later, just struck me as poor scripting and direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Half baked Dr Who vibe

Why wont GAA football fans these days admit Die Hard 5 is muck?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was renewed for a second season a few days back; I'm at least curious to see where it goes, 'cos a lot of the appeal was its enclosed, rugged and industrial setting. Not sure the story or characters on their own would be enough to shoulder a follow-up run whose setting was more generic, or less arresting.

I enjoyed the series more than others as a throwback Sci-Fi series you used to get a lot from SyFy before it went to shíte; but that said, it did have the vibe of a Dr. Who story, with the Doctor never actually appearing. Like the Doc somehow missed this threat, and was off the other side of the universe at the time.

Plus, lampshading its inspirations with a character reading The Kraken Awakes was more than a little cheeky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement