Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wondering about advanced entry

• 11-01-2023 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi lads, I just graduated w/ a lvl 7 degree in mathematical sciences from TU Dublin in November, couldn't finish up to lvl 8 because I was in poor health and honestly getting to the end of my lvl 7 was a slog anyway (had to repeat some exams at the end of yr 3) and I just wanted to get it over with lol.

I'm currently still stuck working in retail unfortunately because a lot of graduate entry level jobs require a lvl 8 - I've been thinking of doing a springboard course in software development next year, it's a lvl 7 diploma, part time, from CCT, and then going on to do advanced entry into a lvl 8 in a similar IT course (looking at Maynooth atm). I'm just looking for other perspectives - I have a couple questions if anyone would be willing to answer/offer some insight :)

• if I were to do the lvl 7 diploma from CCT, what do you think my odds of getting into year 4 of the lvl 8 are? A lot of the modules I did in my degree could be related to compsci - discrete maths, algorithms, etc, and I was in the computer lab a good bit in 1st/2nd yr - did some Python, Excel, MySQL, etc. I know I'm probably more likely to get into year 3 if anything but the idea of 3 more years of college feels quite daunting/exhausting and I guess I'd like to manage my expectations for that.

• is this an insane path to take to get into a career in cs? I would really like to get a lvl 8 as I think having a degree opens up more doors which sounds ideal to me rn but I'm not completely opposed to alternatives if anyone has any ideas :) thanks!

Advertisement