Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving from Comapany car insurance to private/own policy Car Insurance...

• 11-01-2023 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi there. I'm looking for some advice

I'm a 44 yr old male who hasn't had his own car insurance policy in Ireland since Jan 2009. I have a full license in Ireland for 25 years.

I left the country in 2009 and returned in 2014. While away I had my own insurance policy but none in Ireland. When I returned to Ireland in 2014 I was put on company insurance for my job. I have been on that company car insurance since then but now need to get my own policy for an Audi A4 3 litre TDI. I've been told the fact that I've not had my own insurance policy for approx 12 years in Ireland will be very problematic when looking for a reasonably priced insurance policy.

A couple of questions before I start calling companies for quotes:

What insurance companies would best suit my situation (if any!)?

Will the fact that I had no claims with my company insurance here in Ireland for the last 8 years be take into account?

I had my own policy while away in the States for 5+ years with no claims...will this be taken into account?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

The very best of luck to you.

I had the problem in the UK and did find an odd broker or two that gave a discount, the one I selected gave me around eight years no claims. I swapped to Direct Line in the UK which were a very good web based company.

I know it's of little help to you, as I had a no claims cert from Direct line when I came to buy insurance here. Alas the problem here was that every single company wanted the no claims cert up front before insuring me. I had been through every broker and company. A lot of the brokers needing days for a quote that in the UK around ten minutes would have seen the job done and dusted.

In the UK there is a grace period where you are insured but have fourteen days to show proof of no claims, only Axa did that here. The other insurance companies wanted me to cancel my UK insurance, give them the documentation and then the Irish insurance would start.

With the town eighteen miles away, I had no intention of getting a taxi in to pick up my new vehicle because an insurance company couldn't provide a "cover note" or even insurance dependent on documentation production.

So if you want a company that is "can do" and you don't want to wait for a broker to waste your time, Axa might be worth a ring. I discounted them initially as they were a lot more expensive than the UK company, premiums I was used to paying, but really it was the only company that would insure me in a way that meant I could drive in, pick my car up and drive home in it while being legally insured.

A basic thing in the UK, but downright impossible with every other company and broker I tried here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Will the fact that I had no claims with my company insurance here in Ireland for the last 8 years be take into account?

The very least you need to do is get a letter from the insurance company which covers the company car scheme to say that you have been driving on that policy for 8 years and had no claim. It may or may not be worth the paper it's written on but if you go looking for quotes for a policy in your own name, there would be no point in mentioning that you were claims-free on a company scheme for 8 years, unless you have that piece of paper.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Try a good Broker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I was in the exact same position in 2013.

If you are able to, get a letter from the insurance company that the company policy

was with stating you were insured on that policy for whatever length of time and were

accident free Allianz will accept it. They did for me in 2013.

I had been on a company policy from 2006 to 2013 and they were happy to accept

it at the time.

If you know what insurance company the work policy was with try them for a quote.

They might have a record of your details.

Advertisement