Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA: Serious flight disruptions possible as US NOTAM fails.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Domestic departures grounded until 9am EST.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Approx 300 domestic flights already cancelled, more than 2500 delayed at the moment.

Even though they claim mostly domestic flights are affected, considering domino effect that would more than likely have negative impact on international flights as well.

Authorities say there is no indication if it's caused by cyber attack, but they didn't rule that out either. Anyway, some guys are working hard to restore what's broken, other guys are working even harder to find out why it's broken. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• NOTAM is effectively an integrated database of current status re functionalities around airports, navigation systems etc. Back in the 1980s when I was flying I received these in the post. I can see how anything that would bring down this database would halt movements across a nation or area governed by an aviation authority. As one entire integrated system it would be the weakest point in ATC, especially across a vast area the size of USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Air Traffic control systems seem to have a 'few' week points recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Advertisement