Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identity theft. Property purchase

• 11-01-2023 3:07pm

Got a rates bill from another part of the country for a property I know nothing about.

It appears that it was bought using my identity.

Contacted local Gardai and county council. Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sell it and retire.

On a more serious note, what makes you think it was bought using your identity? It could just be an administrative error on the council's behalf.

• Never had any dealings with this council or area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Are rates bills still a thing ? Sounds like phishing to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,942 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For commercial property, yes.

First thing I'd suggest doing (beyond what the OP has done) is order a CCR report to see if anything else has been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s quite a stretch to assume that because you received a rates bill that a property was purchased in your name, or that there was a case of identity theft.

It’s also hard to see why someone involved in identity theft would use their skills to enrich your property portfolio either. It wouldn’t make also a lot of sense.

Contacting the Garda is probably unnecessary. I would simply return the rates demand to the local authority who issued it, tell them you know nothing about it, and ask why they sent it to you. I wouldn’t be loosing any sleep over it.

• Advertisement

• Lunar3556, you are correct.

It looks like it was a misunderstanding.

My details may have been inadvertently forwarded to the council by a third party who had them for an unconnected matter.

I was a little over cautious, as my PPS was previously used for fraud. Did not want my credit rating ruined over an unpaid loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,710 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That sounds like a fairly serious breach of data protection law and GDPR. You could make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner if you like.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I’m happy to move on, once the council accepts I have no interest in or connection to the property.

Mistakes happen.

Advertisement