Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Review Question

Options
  • 11-01-2023 3:44pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Outside an RPZ, rent can only be raised every 24 months, right? We moved in Jan 2021, rent was raised €50 in Jan 2022 (didn't even think to check if that was ok), and landlord is now saying he wants to raise it again for 2023.

Checked Citizens Information, and found the below, so pretty sure i'm right, but just wanted to check.

Rent reviews outside of Rent Pressure Zones

Your rent cannot be reviewed until 24 months after the start of your tenancy. If your rent was reviewed at any time in the last 24 months, it cannot be reviewed again until 24 months after the date of the last review. This rent certainty measure is in place until 31 December 2024.

When the 24-month period is over your landlord must give you at least 90 days’ notice of a change in rent. This written notice must state the amount of the new rent and date the new rent will take effect.

Your landlord cannot charge more than 'market rent' which is the going rate for your type of accommodation in the area you live.

We do an annual lease, which is due for renewal this month, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭dennyk

Rent outside an RPZ can only be reviewed every two years, yes. Having a fixed term lease doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lea26

Sorry to hijack this but does anyone know if there is a limit to how much landlord can increase monthly rent by ? Or is there no limit?

A friend of mine is renting and the landlord said she is increasing from 700 per month to 900 per month. It seems a bit excessive to me . ( outside RPZ). Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Outside RPZ, landlord has the right to increase the rent to match market rates. So perhaps your friend is paying low rent for a long while.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Your friends LL has no real choice but to keep pace with the market rates. If they let the rent fall behind and new laws come in they will be screwed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So the landlord has come back saying he wants a €250 increase of rent (€900 to €1150). Otherwise he'll issue us with notice. Letting agent said he can't afford the mortgage, and may have to sell (good luck with that, next door been on the market for 2 years with no bids). I understand things have increased, but that's over 25% of an increase.

Letting agent did say that he might compromise and take an extra €100. I could afford that, but i'm hesitant to accept any increase given he's not supposed to do it for 24 months after the last raise (Jan 2022).

Should i be getting onto the RTB or someone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement