Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance - public hospital only plan with VHI?

• 11-01-2023 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

Currently signing up with VHI through my employer. They were trying to sell me Enhanced Care 350 which allows access to all private hospitals except the Mater Private & Beacon.

Another plan I have been quoted on is Public Plus Care Day to Day. However, it is about 1k cheaper and, while I know it’s their job to upsell, the VHI sales staff were really emphasising that it doesn’t allow access to any private hospitals.

Is this a big issue? I have four kids but, touch wood, we are rarely ever sick. I just want the insurance in the background for piece of mind mainly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some consultants only work in private hospitals like the Beacon, Hermitage etc. So your choice might be limited if you took that cheaper plan. There's also the issue of getting a bed - as someone with private insurance, you may be able to get the services of a consultant who is prepapred to treat you as a private patient but there could be a queue for a bed in the public hospital where he/she works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,246 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Family member had difficulty finding a consultant for an obstetric procedure under that plan. They got one eventually at NMH, but it wasn’t easy.

Advertisement