Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cricket 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep. Disappointment that not a single Irish batsman could muster a half century….in fact the only members of the Irish team who did anything with the bat were the bowlers and one all rounder in Dockrell. Tector scored a decent 39…

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fergiesfav

Ireland captain Paul Stirling: "The scoreline flattered us but I'd rather have those moments than not have them. We will look to improve come Tuesday before sitting down and chatting about where we go."

They do a lot of talking.......

Fingers crossed the UK met office is more accurate than the BBC forecast. Which in fairness you’d expect but the BBC are reporting enough rain to seriously impact things in Bristol on Tuesday as opposed to the Met Office who are just suggesting one quick shower… actually looking again they are no longer forecasting rain during play.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Adair goes for 19 off the first over. Sweet Jesus the first delivery of his 2nd over goes for 6!!! Good night and good luck.

Adair concedes 19 from his first over today... and laughs between each bad delivery... odd. Can't say it was great batting... half trackers and wides getting put away... Little does ok and now Adair back and being hit to all parts again in his second over.... ominous signs...

37/0 after 3 and from his 2 overs Adair has conceded 31 🤐

Edit : 60/0 after 4

• Advertisement

Little being smashed around now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Without regular wickets, 500 could be broken here.

Young has steadied the ship. Bowling fuller and takes a wicket....

Needed, christ that scoreboard!

Young getting two quick wickets to stop the rot again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭MFPM

Looking like a long day for Ireland once again!!

• Advertisement

Campher with a good start. Bowling much fuller than his teammates….. only 3 off his first.

the annoying thing about our bowlers is it takes them so much time to see.. “plan A isn’t working, try something else..”

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I'll say it again. Has Little ever bowled well for Ireland? Will he ever be dropped?

Adair has fallen off a cliff this series.

Two ideal bowlers for any batsmen, they bowl quick enough it comes nicely off the bat, but bowl 3/4 awful deliveries an over.

Van Woerkom with a wicket on debut. Hadn’t looked too impressive but a very decent delivery tucking up and bamboozling Crawley there….

This is looking really ominous. 205/3 with 27 overs remaining. Van Woerkom gets his first wicket.

How do the coach and captain survive this mauling. Incredibly naive tactics game after game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No and no I think, Little gets a lot of wickets with pure tripe, and also gets success when he is playing against people who haven't faced him before, once he has been sussed, he hasn't many answers, might sound like sour grapes, but isn't, its just a sad truth, have nothing against the chap, and I rarely criticise players, except Gary Wilson and Dwyane Bravo, one for not being very good, and the other for dancing around even though he's taken 1/40 off 4 overs

That’s a hell of a rain shower, that could be the end of the day…already patches of water accumulating on and around the other strips….

hopefully a more competent group of grounds people than the clowns up at Headingley and maybe we’ll get more cricket…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

A long day in the field and probably a short day at the crease.

Please keep England under 450

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Abandoned again. Seems abrupt, they haven’t waited long to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

• Advertisement

No that was quick off the mark. That said more very heavy rain due there in about 20 minutes I’m seeing so maybe that influenced their decision… with the amount of standing water too already out there…

still best to work towards a best case scenario…. And try to clear up…. If & when the second lot of rain starts falling then call it officially done…..I’d be willing to bet a full house vs Australia or India and they’d probably have made a more tangible effort to at least try to get play going again …….

considering their complete fûck up at Headingly and now this… not great for the Irish cricket fan, those of us who travelled and otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭VillaMad

The rain definitely came to save Ireland. Don't think I've ever seen a game abandoned as quickly as that one. The rain was almost biblical but did seem to take the groundstaff by complete surprise. They didn't get the cover it as well they could have or should have. Don't think you'll ever see international cricket in late September in England ever again.

Terrible shame for the crowd. A refund was only eligible for play under 30 overs I think, and they went one over.

Little went for 151 off 15 overs over the two games and has completely fallen off a cliff. Adair was also terrible and McCarthy also struggled. Craig Young has been excellent and is probably in the form of his life. They all pretty much bowl the same speeds, so hard to know what to do with them. Not sure where Ireland go from here.

They'll sit around, have a chat about where they went wrong, work hard in the nets to fix the issues and then in 3 months when they play again they'll get hammered.

Malan will talk up our aggressive approach, which in reality means getting bowled out quicker and conceding more 4/6s then ever before. He'll nicely ignore the fact Irish results have plummeted under his watch and he's brought through precisely zero new first team players.

Tend to agree that the rain in all likelihood save Ireland from quite a beating. They just seem miles off at the moment, test cricket is somewhat understandable but in limited overs cricket they should be more competitive.

None of the coaches since Simmons have gotten any real consistency it seems to me, Afghanistan have pulled well clear of Ireland, Scotland are better now and the Netherlands are arguably pulling ahead too.

I’m still miffed by the tactic of bowling 3 or 4 deliveries at least out of every over, short or at best back of a length.

no known tactic or any element of common sense says that’s a savvy plan to players this talented.

top edge it’s 6 or 4, good shot it’s 6, 4 or 2

Bowler misjudges their length it’s a wide….

this is not Norway this is England. England are the current world champions. So what is the craic lads ?

Of our 7 bowlers, only Young came out of that with any credit.

Overs / Runs conceded :

Adair : 5 /48

Little : 5 / 69

Young : 7 / 31

McCarthy : 4 / 39

Campher : 3 / 22

Van Woerkom : 4 /47

Dockrell : 3 / 21

Ireland wolves v west indies youngsters

Ireland 245 (49.1)

Murray Commins 118*

West Indies 52/0 (7)

West Indies 219 all out

Hammered by 7 wickets in the 2nd game, 103 all out, chased down in less than 16 overs, 3rd game tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Zimababwe tour begins tomorrow with first of 3 T20s, then 3 ODIs, alas no test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

To quote Cricket Ireland's post about the tour they made yesterday:

"A livestream service is expected in Ireland / UK – links will be made available via social media when available"

You really have to wonder how Cricket Ireland can always manage to have such clear viewing arrangements for all their games and make it so easy for people who might try to plan to watch /s

FTR it was simple for me to discover that I could watch it on fancode if I was in India /facepalm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement