Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John deere 6200 gearboxes

Options
  • 11-01-2023 7:58pm

Evening folks. I'm looking at buying one of two JDs. One has forward/reverse at the left of the steering and the other has it on the console to the right.

What is the difference, which is better. Will be used for mainly yard work, feeding bales with loader in winter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Get the one with the shuttle on the left of the steering wheel. End of story. There’s no comparison.

Are they a newer transmission or is an ease of use thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

It depends... It could well be the very same transmission, just with the shuttle in a different location. But JD offered a number of gearbox options in those tractors. Is it possible to move the one with the shuttle on the right from forward to reverse without clutching? If so, it is probably the same powerquad box.

It could also be two different tractors! You say a John Deere 6200... Are these two tractors from the 1990's that you're asking about? If so, the one with the shuttle under the steering wheel is almost certainly a Premium, while the other one could possibly be an SE version.....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Would have thought all 100 series John Deere's only came with RHS and LHS was only 10 series onwards.

Have a RHS 6400 here as loader tractor.Find it grand as you can change F/R with your elbow without taking hand off joystick.Perhaps years of practice.Mine is early 6400 with wedding cake lift dial,older type PUH and cat 3 backend.Has the 24x16 powerquad box which was rebuilt at c.16k hours .Somewhere about 22k hours on the tractor now with engine done about 3 years ago.

Have LHS on another JD and its probably handier but not a major difference for me but then again am used to it at this stage.With RHS its left hand on wheel and left hand does joystick and shuttle whilst LHS its left hand doing wheel and shuttle while right hand on joystick.

Left hand shuttle is 98, the other is 97. I didn't get to drive the 97, one of the sales boys had the key and was gone on break, will be going back to see it friday. My uncle has a 6800 with it on the right console and it can go forward to reverse and back without clutch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Oddly enough the RH shuttle takes less effort to move than the LH in those, as the RH setup has more leverage on the lever.

You need to find out if they are Premium or SE models.

The RH reverser is likely a Premium model, did it have 4 front roof lights recessed into the front of the cab roof??

The LH reverser is most likely an SE with just 2 roof lights on front (unless the LH reverser is electric in which case its a premium)

Thus the RH reverser could be most desirable if its a Premium model

The LH has 2 mounted lights on the cab. Not recessed.

That's an SE as I mentioned.

Has the RH reverser 4 roof lights on front?

Yep, 4 recessed spots.

The LH also has exhaust on left side of bonnet, does that mean anything.

It just confirms that the LH reverser is an SE.

The RH reverser is a Premium and is a higher spec.

It will have a higher capacity hydraulic pump, better brakes, heavier back end, corner post exhaust and other stuff I forget because it's a long time since I worked on them frequently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fair play to you Paddy, any pics? Have you done the brakes as well? That’s only going to go up in value from now on. I’m no JD expert but would prefer shuttle on the left.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The brakes were done maybe 7 or 8 years ago.Really should be done again as hard on brakes at bales I would think.Paid 15k for it with 7k hours which was many years ago.Fitted loader on it straight after purchase.Has air seat about 2 years and done all cab mountings at the same time so not too rough to sit in.On 16.9x24 and 18.6x38 tyres.Both digital and analog clock says it does 47k which local speed monitor at the school agrees with.

They are a nice little loader tractor if a little dated nowadays.Not too sure how much the difference between a 6400 and a 62 would be.Mine has cat3 backend and lift and its usually two wraps on the back and one one the loader stacking.Will lift 2 fusion bales ticking over with the loader but not really a great idea for either the loader,the tractor front axle or the drivers nerves on rough ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

How has the front axle held up Paddy? Some John Deere's of that era didn't have any grease nipples on the swivel joints.

There was an article in Classic Tractor about 10 years ago about a stock farmer in England with a few 6000 and 6010 Deeres. He had big hours on them and had either a 6200 or 6210 on loader work with colossal hours on it. He was well impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I have a 6210 se with a JD 583 loader on it. It's a ideal for our setup here. It's a left hand clutchless shuttle non electric. Have it 6 years. We got the garage to do the head gasket on it before we got it at 7500 hrs as we were told it was a problem with them when they got to 8 or 9000 hours. Round 9000 or so on it now. The only major problem we had so far is the drive shaft between engine and gearbox broke. We plan to hang onto for a few years yet.

Front axle is grand.Never done a thing with it only replaced the bushings on both swivel joints some years ago.They have grease nipples .Cross shaft done last year and admittedly is was very worn.Enough so as it was almost impossible to keep anything level on it.

Complete turnaround on this. Most the JDs I looked at in my budget had massive hours lots of wear in the likes of fron axle pin, steering joints, lift linkages, broke crossshafts, fuel leaks, oil leaks, I would end up spending more money to tidy up on purchase price.

So I raised my budget to 40k, what I've settled on is a t6010 nh.

Any views on this. 5000hrs, 4 cylinder,100hp, front loader, dual command box, €36k.

Did you purchase a tractor yet?? Are they showing any signs of reducing in value yet in the second hand market.

Got a T6010 last week. Not a glimmer of prices dropping. Tonnes of stuff out there but either mad prices or mad hours.

Good stuff. Well ware. A good size machine. Should be well capable to handle the majority of the jobs on the farm.

Thanks, will take over the loader work and light pto work from the 6800. Its a nice size for getting into sheds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement