Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food shopping for new house

• 11-01-2023 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hey Lads,

We bought a gaff and are moving in in two weeks.

Which of the big shopping centres would yee recommend for both price and value to do the first big food/household(cleaning products, toiletries etc) shop for the house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Really depends what's available to you!

I do most of my shopping in dunnes , between the valueclub points and then the 10 euro off 50 spend vouchers it works out ok. (There's a dunnes shop and save thread in bargain alerts and another in coupons and living frugally....posters swap vouchers so you could ask for spares there)

Most supermarkets are price matching products anyway.

Aldi/lidl are grand if you aren't fussy about brand.

Mr Price/dealz are good for cleaning products , cloths etc.

Whatever supermarkets are close to you sign up for their reward/clubcards.

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would add The Range (if you have one nearby) for basic cleaning stuff - chemicals, implements like brushes and sponges; and Boots with an Advantage card for the toiletries - depending on deals you can stack offers and get significant points back.

Food wise, you'll probably be best buying the core stuff in one of the Germans and then picking up anything else in either Dunnes or Tesco - but this hugely depends on what you eat! If I had to restock my kitchen from scratch the first place I'd go would be Eurasia for pulses/spices/frozen stuff but that's because we eat a dangerous amount of curries.

You will waste more time, and fuel, driving around to piles of shops or going significantly out of your way to get to one so don't go looking for a The Range if you're in Mayo for instance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Also check out your local builder providers I know this sounds bonkers but mine stock professional size laundry detergent, I think it's 5 litres works out cheaper than supermarket....they also do fabric softener but dunnes usually have that as a pretty standard "weekly wonder" at half price so I don't bother.

I also get the catering size tin foil there as well.

Advertisement