Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Short answer is no.

Whilst Tsitsipas has plenty of talent, he also has a lot of weaknesses in his game. BH is prone to errors and his return is poor. Djokovic will expose them all day long, and win in straights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

No chance for Tsitsipas in this match. No strapping on Djokovics hamstring either. This will be done in 3. Djokovic is practically untouchable at the moment and shows no signs of slowing down either.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Won’t win if he cannot put points to bed!!!

Useless sh1tes these young lads.

No way back for Tsitsipas now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Tsitsipas played his set point horribly, slotting the ball back into court hoping to draw an error. Was never going happen, and here we are.

My god what a drop shot

Tsitsipas needs to absolutely ram home his break here and go win his 5 service games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

22. It's been a very enjoyable couple of weeks.

We need Alcaraz back asap 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Incredible stuff from Djokovic....

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Can Novak get to 30 grand slams? Overly optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Absolute phuerking warrior!

10 AO's and 22 overall, the fact of what happened last year makes this extra special for him, to see him crying with his family there - amazing scenes.

Pure fairytale stuff.

Great to see the BBC/guardian and all the vaccine cultists having an utter meltdown over this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Nah, 24 max, 1 more Wimbledon and maybe 1 more AO...

Who's had a meltdown? Can you link? I haven't seen anything (so far anyway).

I don't know. Think he can win the French Open and if the US lift their silly no vax ban he could wind the US Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

There's very little on the horizon to trouble Djokovic, with possible exception of Alcaraz, the younger guys don't look up to it, most like Tsitsipas, Zverev have failed time and again and Medvedev has disintegrated since last year's AO capitulation. Outside of a fit or nearly fit Nadal at the FO and the USO ban, there's very little challengers to Djokovic at slam level.

You’d have to think Nole can win FO and SW19. 24, and possibly U.S. this year as well. The challenges aren’t great.

Post edited by walshb on

I think you mean the challenges aren't great. The reality is Covid has been his biggest opponent since 2020, it's cost him at least 2, probably 3 slams, ( Wimbledon 2020, AO 22 and possibly USO 22), he might not be able to play USO this year either. It shows how poor the opposition is, outside of a fit Nadal at the FO, Djokovic is an overwhelming favourite at the other slams. For various reasons his USO record is poor in comparison to the other slams, although he'd probably have at least one or two more, but, for his disqualification and Covid. Men's tennis is in a bad state right now, the top 10 is probably as poor as it has been in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

At some stage father time will best him, and with these things you just never know when or how quickly that will happen.

• Advertisement

I still think Alcaraz has a lot more to offer and will be a genuine title contender at all slams (apart from Wimbledon) and M1000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I agree, but, until he beats Djokovic in a slam, I'd always favour Djokovic to win, same for any other player, they need to be able to beat Djokovic or at least believe they can beat Djokovic at slam level. I think Alcaraz is probably the only young player that believes he can beat Djokovic and Nadal in the slams, I think the rest just hope they can or are waiting for the USO where Djokovic (can't play as things stand). Up until this generation, the older guys were retired by the following generation as they knew they could no longer compete against the younger guys. This generation is so poor that Federer did everything he could to get back from injury as he knew that Djokovic and Nadal were the only true opposition he had at slam level. Mentally they are a really poor generation, they are already beaten before the match begins. Djokovic if he stays fit, could be winning slams at 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic for me is the greatest there has ever been. His numbers are just ridiculous at this point. If you even go past his grand slam titles, he has more masters series than anyone else, the most ATP finals titles, only player to win every masters series on all surfaces and he has done that twice. He has three wins over Federer in Wimbledon finals, two wins vs Nadal at French Open. On top of that I wouldnt rule out him reaching 400 weeks at world number one. If you actually look at his opponents that he has beaten in his grand slam finals, he has come through arguably the toughest opponents. I might be mistaken but I think he has beaten Federer in 4 slam finals, he has beaten Nadal in 4 finals, Murray in 5 finals and also beat the likes of Del Potro, Thiem, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Berritini and Kyrgios.

Finally, the other big one for me is that he has a winning record against every single rival over so many years (Federer, Nadal, Murray, Medvedev, Wawrinka, Del Potro, Ferrer, Berdych, Tsitsipas, Tsonga and the list goes on). He also has the largest number of wins vs Top 5 and Top 10 players in his career and by quite some distance and the highest winning percentage on tours. He is now just 7 titles shy of 100 ATP titles.

On a separate note, fair play to Tsitsipas on a great tournament, he is an exciting player to watch and he probably would have won against virtually any other opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Tennis in dire straits. There's something wrong when a 35 year old can win at a canter, no matter how good he is. The "next generation" stone useless, which started with that spoofer Zverev. The rest coming behind just as poor. No stand out player, with the bit between their teeth, to really take it to the old gaurd. Pathetic for the most part.

The next truely great player will come along at some point, and themselves wipe the floor with this "next generation". Hope we don't have to wait too long

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Novak has the AO and Wimbledon sewn up for as long as he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

I think you are doing a disservice to Alcaraz, he was world number 1 and a GS champ at 19 and still is just 19. Your great man Novak didn't manage that. Alcaraz has shown so far he is more than likely the next great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What exactly is up with Alcaraz? Will he be out for long?

(I dip in and out of the tennis, and have the memory of a goldfish, so can't remember what's happened to him)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Some leg muscle injury but from what I read before he was meant to be playing Australia!

• Advertisement

Leg injury, but he's back training on the clay at the moment. Not sure if that means he's skipping the sunshine double or not

Advertisement