Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuelling for endurance running

• 12-01-2023 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Morning All ,

Im interested in peoples fuelling strategies for half to full marathon and for training runs as well . My last marathon cycle I didn’t bother with gels . I used a watered down version of tailwind for hydration ( and water ) with some choc and caffeine shots.

This worked well in training but marathon day was very unpleasant from mile twenty and that was without touching the caffeine .

I’m currently trying to improve my nutrition in general . A nutritional guide I’m looking at is suggesting I need the below in carbs during racing and training ;

For  1.5 hrs running : 30 g/hr from Single or multiple source

For  2 hrs: 40 - 50 g/hr From  Single or multiple source

For 2.5 hrs + 60 - 90 g/hr Multiple sources

For me this sounds OTT and my stomach aches thinking about it . When I’m training for a half I wouldn’t normally even take anything except for the last few long runs to practice it .

I’ve read through logs hoping to pick up info but it’s all a bit sketchy so was hoping for a bigger discussion.

How many carbs are people taking on board ?

In what format and what brand ?

How much in training ?

what about caffeine ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭TheRef

DCM22 training last year, I only really start using gels when being out for close to 2 hours. One every 45 mins but not within the last 30 mins of the run. I brought this down to every 30 mins when doing in the last 6 weeks of training just to get used to taking them more than anything else. During DCM22 I took them every 35 mins or so, normally when I got to a water station. For me, the last 5k was hell due to a horrible stitch, but I put that down to dehydration due to the the half full cups in the latter stages that were almost impossible to get onboard without spilling. I also had a couple of caffeine gels but I don't recall any real difference when I took them.

Since then, my plan has been to avoid taking any gels unless absolutely required, which for me means runs at least over 2 hours.

I tried all types of jellies before, but for simplicity and effectiveness, gels and water work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Nutrition is very bespoke. Individual fitness, environment, effort, conditioning, dietary factors like alcohol consumption and to a lesser extend distance all play their part. Even the time of day is important when I think about it. Over time your nutritional needs will change especially if there is progression in your running or changes in overall activity levels.

An example of my experience.

Right now I could easily race a half (90-95 minutes) with nothing but a coffee if it started before 10am. I would prioritise a decent clean carb based meal the night before and may or may not take water(winter no, summer yes). In reality I would take a gel but not sure how much I would need it.

Four years ago when I was new to running that distance I would have used a two or three gels and a litre of water for a 120 minute half distance and been in flitters for two days after. I would never have run more than 5km on empty either as I felt drained doing it. Whereas right now I love running empty.

Both of these situations are/were right for me at the time.

As a counterpoint when it comes to Marathons I stick to the 5 or 6 gels (every 40 minutes) only because I know this has worked the last three I've run buti in reality your level of fitness and application of good racing strategy will determine how difficult the final part of the marathon is as long as your taking normal amounts of nutrition onboard.

Not so clear I know but be super weary of anyone who doesn't have an indept knowledge of your lifestyle and training giving advise on nutrition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I'd take 4 gels in total for a marathon one before the start and one on 10k, 20k and 30k that’s all I’ve needed when racing that distance.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

My opinion on race fuelling has fluctuated over the years from low carb fasted long runs to high carb runs.

The one piece of advice I'd give is- you have to practice taking gels in training for them to be any use to you in a race. This will help find the brand that suits best also.

The second piece of advice is don't be afraid to seek professional advice. We'll drop hundreds of euro on a pair of shoes that promise performance gain and let something potentially much more important like fuelling to chance. I know lads who would have been better running in crocs with a proper fuelling strategy rather than AlphaFlys and a shite strategy in races last year

I was involved with a training group that had input from Evan Lynch who is an excellent sports nutritionist. Learned so much about how to fuel for training and racing. Here is a link to his website and podcast which has some great info-

evanlynchfitnut.com

Couple of points I found particularly interesting-

It takes on average 15 different sessions where gels are being used for the body to fully adapt to be able to absorb and process the carbs during exercise.

Using pro-biotics every morning (proper ones, not actimel or yakult etc) can improve and increase the bodies ability to absorb carbs and lower the chance of gut issues.

Carbs not protein consumption after hard sessions are best to aid and speed up recovery process.

Doing long runs fasted was a big no-no in his opinion. Huge stress on the body that can effect the following weeks training amongst other negative impacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

my experience is:

anything that has a Race distance under 42.2km or race time (depending on terrain) under 3:15hrs does not require any fueling during the race other than water (Marathon always at least every 10k better a few sips every 5k. Other distances 10k+ volume of water depends on weather). Gels, well… take one just before the start if you like. Probably more for the mind rather than the body really needing it, if and that’s the big factor as marathon2022 said, if you fueled properly in the lead up to the race.

hence I would recommend looking after your nutrition in general and focus less on the day. If you Trained properly and kept your body fueled properly you won’t need them additional things on Race day (now i am aware that the elite takes nutrition as well but then again they have usually a proper team to get this spot on. Most of us just don’t have that).

with regards to running on empty, this is an ongoing debate which will never end as both have benefits and disadvantages.

i ie love running (and sometimes racing) on empty. I do easy runs, long runs and any type of Session on empty. You just have to learn to adjust paces and judge efforts so it won’t cause Stress on your body. it does help to teach the body to push through the well known wall though! Had that twice (i think maybe 3 times) in 8 years of running were i was done before the end of a monster session. It did help to learn the warning signs! A good thing to do every now and then!

Same time I also sometimes fuel before a long run, workout and Race which means I can go harder/ faster (still the same effort - mostly) and recovery does take a bit less. So it all depends on your Training structure and being able to adjust to the occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭The lips

I am looking for recommendations on energy nutrition that will not upset my stomach.

Training for a marathon mid June, slow 30km this morning and my stomach is still churning after trying out some Decathlon energy fruit jellies. Maybe I just took too many.

If there is a known brand of lighter options I would certainly like to know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You might just need to get used to them. I just use normal jellies when I go for a long run. Jelly babies, jelly beans etc like you get in tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

It’s trial and error. I had no problems with the High 5 isogels … think they are called aqua gels now. Only issue is they leave you with sticky hands if you spill any. Maurten gels were good too but expensive. Last year I trained for Dublin using Tailwind. It’s a powder you add to water and consists of carbs and electrolytes. Very easy on the tummy but the issue is of course you have to carry the liquid. I used do loops and just grab a fresh soft bottle every lap from my car or I also have a hydration pack as I trained for an ultra previously also using Tailwind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

After a good few marathons I've settled on the Maurten gels (the mix version is probably great too but personally I don't like fiddling with having to carry or be handed drink mixes on the day). But I still practice with them every year on all my long runs from 6-8 weeks out to get myself used to them again, which you should be doing anyway with any fuel, I think. It's all about finding the one that work for you at the performance level you are looking for. Good luck!

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I like the Jellies from Decathlon but only as a single use alternative if the gels were pissing me off during a really long run. The decathlon gels are fine but I am leaning more towards the Maurten mix pre run and two or three black(not caffeine) Maurten gels during long run training leading to marathons, odd texture but really easy on the stomach. The caffeine maurten gels are a bit harsh imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭The lips

Thank you for the advise, plenty to try so.

Advertisement