Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSB to JSA

Options
  • 12-01-2023 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi guys, my wife lost her job due to covid and was put on PUP. When this stopped she was put on JSB. That has been reduced now and I'm wondering if she will be eligible for JSA? My salary is 51k but I also have 15k in company stocks and my company pension match me. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,527 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unsure if she ll be eligible, but since its co means tested, they ll probably need to know your financial situation, if at all possible, try 'forget' to tell them about your shares, you ll have to include your pay, and maybe your pension, my guts says, she wont qualify for jsa, but who knows, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A similar question was already asked if you check other threads 🤔 JSB once awarded and on a specific rate doesn't just reduce , clearly her entitlement has ended (its paid for a specific period of time) and she has to now apply for JSA which unlike JSB is means tested & your income will be assessed. Your shares value & pension won't be an issue , just your income. I'd not withhold any information. My guess is your wife will only be awarded a small JSA payment or possibly none, based on your income but if you have dependent children etc this is taken into consideration. Regardless it is important to apply.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Your means are €552 less PRSI. Your means exceeds your entitlement by almost €200. But she should apply anyway.

Isn’t it just that JSB has expired and you need to reapply. Happened to me in November and the sent out a joint JSB/JSA application renewal, but I got the JSB again!

• Advertisement

It’s different for different applicants depending on circumstances.

What were your means when your JSB ran out?

working three days a week after working over 30 years full time,reduced to three days during lockdown,so i suppose i have plenty of stamps built up

Yeah you had enough PRSI. Looks as if this lady hasn’t worked since early 2020 so she won’t reqaulify for JSB.

They have renewed his entitlement to JSB this time. He’ll get it for a short amount of time.

Then they’ll say that he has “ no longer suffered a loss of employment”. That he has accepted that 3 days a week is his normal working week.

Then they will either assess him for JSA (“suffered a loss of employment” only applies to Benefit, not allowance) or if he can’t prove he’s been looking for full time work, even possibly disqualify him.

Whichever outcome, this is definitely his last stint on JSB unless he can find 13 weeks work somewhere.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the OP 😏

Sorry Dempo. I was just chatting in general about JSB running out.

Of course, fully understand 😉 happy new year by the way 😉

I would like to work 5 days again but my line of work has suffered since covid and I’m now 56 and applied for plenty of work but nothing came of it

Hi @[Deleted User] I got confused as your situation very different to the Query OP made. I fully appreciate your situation, many others in the same boat but @TooTired123 was explaining correctly what will occur in your situation, eventually your JSB entitlement will run out & you'll have to apply for means tested JSA, many folks just choose the JSA, rather than having to go through the process again.

The OP's situation different, they were on PUP, moved to JSB automatically as they had enough contributions, now they have to apply for JSA and Husbands earnings are assessed. Regardless if a person is working part-time or not at all, JSA is means tested.

I just happen to know that you can only be suffering a loss of employment for a certain length of time before they decide that your done with benefit.

Did you enquire about a CE scheme?

Just got notification from the mywelfare site that my JSA application was turned down. Still working three days as business is quiet and in danger of closing altogether . My JSB finished a couple of weeks back but I sent in the renewal application back in November which was a joint JSA/JSB application . Wonder if the notice i received today refers to both applications although it just mentions JSA.

So what is a person to do if no JSA or JSB and little hope of work for the two days I’m unemployed. 56 now and no skills as I worked in an office environment most of my working life!

Advertisement