Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodturning

Options
  • 12-01-2023 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi looking for some advice. Could anyone tell me if a DB 900 lathe copier fit a sip 900 lathe look forward to hearing from you thanks .ps I am new to this .

Best Answer

Answers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Welcome to Boards

You posted this in the site Feedback forum. We have a dedicated Woodcraft forum where your query better sits, (and in particular where people who may be able to help you are more likely to see this) and I have moved it there for you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know, is the honest answer. It would depend on a few factors I guess, firstly whether you can physically clamp the device to the bed on your own lathe with the clamps provided, secondly if it will fit between the headstock and tailstock and lastly whether the height of the cutting tool is at the right height for your lathe, i.e. distance between the bed and the centres, or is adjustable.

The manufacturer says it's only suitable for their own DB900 lathe (see https://www.stuermer-machines.com/wood-working/woodworking-machinery-lathes/5931101/), so I'd say the chances are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JENNYFLAG

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Having looked at the sip lathe and the copier, I'd say any competent woodworker could mange to fit it if they had to, But.

I reckon the best option for you is to gather the specs of the DB copier and send it to SIP directly for their advice. They may have their own copier that fits correctly instead of trying to fit a generic copier from scratch. I suspect that it will restrict the ability of your sip lathe to turn to its maximum, but thats only a guess based on the pictures.

As I'm not sure on your woodturning experience, I am guessing that you are a novice. If so, I would concentrate on perfecting my skills before purchasing a copier. Reason being is although copiers have their place in turning, low end generic copiers are not the same as high end machine specific copiers, and the resulting turnings would support this.

Low end copiers are going to give you similar profiles that need finishing. If you think you will have 8 perfect gateleg table legs finished off the copier, after one or two passes, you wont. Perfection from copiers cost money, and even then it depends on the machine.

Welcome aboard

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Necessity being the mother of invention, I needed to make a large piece many years ago, but lacked the machine for it.....so I made my own from a wheel balancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with kadman there, it's important to know what exactly you want to achieve and what your expectations are of the finished result. As he says, quality comes with a price!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mean you're new to woodturning or new to boards?

reason i ask is that if you're new to woodturning, a copier may be a challenge to use!

Advertisement