Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collecting social welfare

• 12-01-2023 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

Sorry if its been asked before.

What is the process of collecting your payment? What do you say when you go the the counter in the post office?

Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

I am probably not the best person to answer your question considering I haven't collected social welfare from the post office, but I can't imagine it would be any more complicated than saying to the person behind the counter that you are there to collect your social welfare payment and providing them with your PPS number and some ID or your public services card. If you have one.

Whatever you do don't feel embarrassed about collecting what you are entitled to. Everyone needs a helping hand now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irelandbeach

Thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure what to do. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,267 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You don't need to say anything in fact. You simply present your Public Service Card and the person behind the counter will immediately scan your card and start processing your payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You just say “good morning/afternoon!” and offer them your PSC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is it mandatory for social welfare to be collected in cash and not bank transfer from Dept of Social Welfare?

That’s beyond archaic surely in this day-and-age

By the time you collect the cash and deposit it into your bank account (which most probably have to do for bills etc) some people may have already spent 5%-10% of their payment on travel to their bank branch from post office etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭airy fairy

For illness/disability benefit one can have it lodged to accounts.

A far as I know, it's unemployment benefit/job seekers requires one to present themselves to the post office to collect payment. A person on this payment is deemed to be seeking employment so theoretically should be physically out seeking a job anyway, not sitting at home checking their social welfare payments online, so a trip to the post office shouldn't be an ordeal anyway. It is also done this way to deter people working on the side illegally by making them leave the job to collect weekly.

OP, I've seen people in the post office produce their social services card and it's swiped and they get payment with no verbal communication at all.

Wishing you the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It has little to do with restricting fraud despite the claims to the contrary, some of the largest frauds uncovered were carried out by people collecting welfare payments / Pensions at post offices. It's entirely to do with propping up post offices.

Frankly it's ludicrous and actually costs claimants money, wether it be to travel to post offices or then lodge their payment into their bank accounts, it's also more expensive & cumbersome for the state.

The department has numerous mechanisms to counter fraudulent behaviour. But as others have correctly stated, as of Feb 2022, all new Jobseeker claims are only paid into the post office but exceptional circumstances are considered but on a case by case basis. During the Pandemic, Jobseekers payments & PUP were paid into bank ACCOUNTS.

Other no Jobseeker payments can be paid via bank transfer.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Smegging hell

JA/JB claimants who are working part time can still get it through the bank and there are certain other exceptions who can (JA/JB recipients in residential treatment centres) but otherwise all JA/JB payments are through the post office now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Can I say something, if you want to know anything about welfare just listen to Dempo. Provided an unbelievable service to many during Covid.

Ignore my fraud comment, I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Why thank you @Hoboo & happy new year.

Your comment about fraud was actually fair , this is the Narrative government uses to justify using the post office for payments but its really about propping up post offices . Some folks don't mind this method but those living rurally can have obstacles getting to PO. I also pointed out the cost of this , not only to the state but recipients who in many cases are charged to lodge money into their bank accounts.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement