Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK state pension

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭jj880

Applied online myself nearly a month ago now. I see another poster (Goldengirl) mentions there was no option to request class 2 v class 3 in the online application. Now that I think about it myself I dont recall there being that option either. It was a "Request to pay extra years" application.

If possible could you tell me if they tell you year by year if your extra payments will be class 2 or 3 in your letter?

Hopefully I get a letter soon…

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Widows Son

When you submit the initial form send off your employment history and prsi contributions in Ireland too and they will know them what class to allocate to you. It also speeds up the process as it saves em having to contact you to get this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Called HRMC again today. One hour to get through! It was all worked out back at the beginning of April exactly what I was paying with one of their reps who said they'd note it on my account. Paid April 17th, heard nothing since so called today. You guessed it no note on my account so they had 2k of my money they didn't know what to do with.

Had to work out which years I was paying yet again and this time its supposed to go to a case worker who should update my account and send me a receipt in about 6 weeks?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭jj880

Online application submitted already without those documents. Will get them ready. I'll wait until I hear back and take it from there. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 padraigholden

Hi I've paid Class 3 over the years since I returned to Ireland, now having read the posts I would have been entitled to pay Class 2 can I claim a refund for the overpayment. I qualify for my pension in 2025 ,

• Advertisement

Ring em and ask. Might depend on your employment status in Ireland on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Similar question but in reverse, hope it's OK to ask here rather than start a new thread.

I've worked 21 years in the UK and will have another 15 at least so I'll be fine for a full UK state pension, plus NHS pension.

I've only had about 2 years contributions in ROI when I was younger and I know I need 10 years of contributions to qualify for an Irish state pension. Other than packing in my job in NI and working my last 8 years before retirement back in ROI, is there any other way to up my contributions? Can I buy years like in the UK?

Is there a minimum number of hours per week that you need to work in ROI to count as a contributory week? I could always go part time in the North and get a part time job in ROI. I live near the border to I have the luxury of working either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

Yep - it provided me with a year by year breakdown, most of mine were the cheaper of the two classes as I had provided a lot of detail re my UK employment history.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We don’t have a purchase function like they do. Once you earn over €38 a week as an employee you’re liable for class A prsi and you’ll get the same weekly contribution as some one who earns €100k a week (or anything else)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

I don't work currently but I pay S contributions which qualify for pension. I can do this as I am a landlord. Do you have any properties or could you become self employed in Ireland. Then you could pay S contributions. You only have to earn over €5k and the you pay a flat rate of €500 or 4% whichever is more.

There is a voluntary contribution system in Ireland. See the reply below I received back in 2021 when I asked the department of social protection

The main qualifying conditions for Voluntary Contributions are:

A person has to apply within 60 months (5 years) of the end of the year in which they last paid or were credited a social insurance contribution prior to the year in which they wish to pay.

A person has to have a minimum of 520 compulsory contributions already paid.

At present you appear to have 426 paid contributions from employment, not including contributions in 2021 to date.

Based on this social insurance record, you would not be accepted as a Voluntary Contributor.

Have you paid social insurance in any other EU Member State as we could include those contributions in calculating the 520 required?

• Advertisement

I do rent out a property in Ireland. I asked my accountant if that would help and she said no?

Currently earning gross annual rent of about €10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Yes,ring them and post any updates to help others

Ring them and ask.You can also email the HMRC.Supposedly they reply after 10 days!! Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

It depends on your situation at the moment. When you file your tax return with the accountant are you saying you are a non resident landlord? (Based outside Ireland)

As when you are a non resident you are exempt from paying prsi, but can pay the voluntary (but you need 10 years) which I don't think you have. So would it make sense for you to be a tax resident in Ireland in order for you to pay the prsi s contributions.

In my situation I live in Ireland so pay the €500 and get the 52 weeks contributions. Then I pay the UK nation insurance per year for the pension.

I'll have to check but I think I'm Irish resident landlord.

With all due respect if your accountant can't give you definitive advice on this what are you paying them for?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

First of all you pay an accountant for the services specified in the letter of engagement and second all the OP said was that he did not know his status and will check. NOW BACK ON TOPIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

I've found DWP useless, forget trying to get through on the phone, they lost my birth & marriage certs & then said in email , that there was no proof they ever received them. Our lot in Sligo are fantastic compared to them.

I got a phone number for the international case officer and got through swiftly and was given great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 modgal

Hi, can anyone help me, I applied to buy back years for UK pension as I was entitled to. It has taken 2 years, locating my NI insurance number took a year (my fault). Anyway, after I left UK in 1990s I went to work in Netherlands and then onto Australia back to Ireland in 2006, then kids home duties until 2015 back to work. Can anyone tell me if I am only entitled to buy back at higher rate class 3, I have applied for cheaper class 2. Than you for your help

• Advertisement

The criteria for class 2 I believe is, you must have been working before you left the UK,and you must have commenced work when you entered the new country.

Widows son is correct.See gov.uk Search for:- Plan Your Retirement Income section and scroll down to see who qaulifies to pay Class 2

When you apply provide a list of employers with dates to help DWP decide on Class 2 or 3.Dates of leaving UK and starting new employment up to the present day

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Sponge25

Are Irish citizens entitled to benefits in general if they live permanently in the UK?

Yes.The 2 governments have a reciprocal agreement for Irish and British citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I rang UK revenue 3 times today , cut off 3 times after about 10 minutes ,wondered if its my phone or is it the norm.

Probably overwhelmed? Often takes me an hour to get through to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

My credit ran out after an hour, patiently, on hold. Skype didn't see the credit I bought until I logged out and in again. Was fuming. Didn't answer the robot voice machine clearly. Just demanded to talk to a human. Call was picked up in 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

At least I was able to find out that my bank transfer was fully allocated to last year when it was meant to be for the last ten years instead! They'll get that fixed but it might take 16 weeks. They had no idea why my direct debit was cancelled. I'll have to fill out the direct debit form again. Thankfully it's all online but what a shambles of a system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you've done the application they hopefully will get back to you in few months with a letter telling you what class you can pay at. For me, because I didn't give them all my employment details post UK I have some class 2 and a lot class 3, so I've posted the details I could find + Irish social insurance payment details to them. Hopefully this will reduce those class 3 to class 2 payments. Waiting on a response from them.

• Advertisement

That was sort of the problem I had. I'd spoken to them worked out how much to pay and said what I was paying for then 2-3 months after paying I called (an hour to get through) and they had the money but not allocated it because they didn't know what the money was there for.

So now its gone to a case worker with hopefully the relevant info for them to update it. Told it could to check back in 2 weeks but could take 12. Suspect the issues are down to volume its a deal thats too good to miss out on.

Advertisement