Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Building Mini-ITX PC for Graphic Design & Casual Gaming (Around $1000 Budget)

Options
  • 13-01-2023 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello guys,

I need your help to build a PC that will serve me for the next 5+ years.

I know the PC assembly process, the components, their roles and importance, but I know all that to some extent in practice and a little less in theory (especially when it comes to cooling and aesthetics). For this reason, I would appreciate your experiences, opinions, suggestions and the like. I would be very grateful if someone could take the time to help me.

• I mostly use the PC for work. I am a Graphic Designer and the programs I use the most are Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Figma, Webflow, etc. I often have 10+ tabs opened in Chrome with one or two of the Graphic Design programs, so I would like to have 32GB of RAM so that I don't have problems with multitasking.
    • I've had a bigger case before, so I'd like a Mini ITX this time around. I like that it doesn't take up too much space and is easily portable when needed.
    • It is important for me to have a good Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection because with the previous build the cables drove me crazy. I also have a laptop, so it is much easier for me to switch from one machine to another if all the devices are wireless (mouse, keyboard, headphones, etc.).
    • I have an external hard drive that I often transfer from one device to another, so it is important to me that the motherboard and the case have a front USB-C port.
    • Since I am a designer, aesthetics are important to me. I like minimalism, I'm not a big fan of RGB, but I wouldn't want my case to be completely dark either.
    • I occasionally play CS:GO, so I'd like it to be fluid (300+ FPS).
    •  

So, these are some of my choices. I would like you to help me and advise me what I could change. Where to save money, and where to spend a little more. Is there something which is overkill for my needs, do I maybe need to add more fans or coolers, etc.

This is the list:

• I decided to build the machine around an Intel i5-12400F. After watching YouTube videos and suggestions on various sites, I concluded that this is the best budget option that will do the job properly.
    • I chose the ASUS ROG Strix B660-I Gaming WiFi motherboard because it fits the ITX build and has USB-C ports on the front and back. Since I plan to use this computer for more than 5 years, I've decided that I'm in favor of a board that supports DDDR5 memory, but I'm not sure it's necessary.
    • For memory, I chose Kingston Fury 32GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36. I'm not sure if that's too much. Maybe I should go with the DDDR4 one or stay on DDDR5 but with lower speed or something.
    • SSD Samsung 1TB 980 Pro w/ Heatsink 4.0 NVMe™. For this one I'm pretty sure it's a good choice.
    • I noticed that the Fighter AMD Radeon™ RX 6600 8GB GDDR6 is a good recommendation, so I put it in my build.
    • For cooling there is Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler as a popular solution, and Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 600W Gold 600 W 80+ Gold as the first one I came across that matches the rest of the components.
    • The case is Jonsbo V8 Mini ITX Desktop Case because it is the closest to my taste among the options on PC Part Picker. I like something like HYTE Revolt 3, Sparrow MQ5, Jonsbo Bo 100, IQUNIX ZX-1, Lian Li Q58, etc.
    •  

Please, feel free to suggest me if some components are a complete failure or if you think there are better options than the ones listed. None of the components on the list are strict, except maybe the process around which I built the machine.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Best regards,

Aleksandar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Your build is hopelessly over budget (1300eur - https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/syzCQ6)

Here's something that's closer to 1k

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FF6yNc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€149.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€39.31 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-E WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€149.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory (€91.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€98.35) @ Amazon UK

Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card (€287.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Jonsbo D30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€117.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€95.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €1030.13

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-13 16:54 CET+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Spending vastly more on your motherboard than the CPU is pointless. Having a higher-end mobo with a mid-range CPU is going to radically underperform compared to a cheap motherboard and better CPU.

I would say literally 90% of people needlessly spend money on motherboards for features they never use. Terms like "future proof" get thrown around with no basis whatsoever.

On a budget of 1k you can put the money into far better things that will show meaningful returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Keeping the Intel and paying for more RAM (photoshop likes RAM)

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/PbGpv3

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (€174.78 @ notebooksbilliger.de) 

CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (€48.80 @ Amazon Deutschland) 

Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard (€148.19 @ Mindfactory) 

Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€154.90 @ Alza) 

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€110.90 @ Alza) 

Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card (€269.00 @ Mindfactory) 

Case: Jonsbo V8 Mini ITX Desktop Case 

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (€95.90 @ Alza) 

Total: €1002.47

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-17 21:43 CET+0100

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Slutmonkey57b half those shops don't deliver here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Well it's just an alternative list. Pcpartpicker is a good way of listing a build but it's always been volatile, and regularly claims there's no stock anywhere when there is.

Advertisement