Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting my hospital records

Options
  • 13-01-2023 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

What is the best way to request my data from a public hospital? Also, I need this from a different HSE institution?

- FOI (Freedom of Information)

- SAR (Subject Access Request)

- Request for Medical Info?

Are there costs involved? Does each request type provide the same feedback? How long until feedback is received?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There are no costs involved and generally requests for records done through an FOI request. Each hospital group has an FOI officer and details on how to request information are on the HSE website. Be aware certain information is not released and if you require records from your GP , that is an entirely separate procedure.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

If you go on to any Hospital website there should be an A-Z of services. Amongst these will be a category such as Access to Information office. You can contact them and ask for any records they may have under your name. You are entitled to this information and there is no charge. As many hospitals used to use paper records in the past, if the records are old it may take a while for them to be found in the archives so I would recommend supplying dates or information which may help narrow down a search if possible If you have a common first name/surname it might also be helpful to provide all addresses you have used when attending the hospital as it can help in identifying records as definitely belonging to you.

I would also for your own sake going forward keep a copy of all correspondence from any hospital in a folder. Hospitals in Ireland are abysmal at sharing information so it can be really useful to be able to bring possibly relevant information to Hospital appointments, especially if you have been treated in different hospitals over your lifetime. The new treating hospital can chase up the old hospital once they are aware of previous tests there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭misstearheus

There definitely is charges listed for this in the F.o.I. Section on the H.S.E. Website. I don't know much about it but I think the charges kick in after x number of Photocopies. I could be wrong on that now, but deffo saw charges listed for it.

Advertisement