Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partnership with suckler farmer

Options
  • 14-01-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

I'm summer grazing. Each year purchasing weanlings in Spring. Ideally I'd prefer to have someone I trust to supply healthy animals each year.

Does anyone here have a partnership with. Suckler farmer and purchase weanlings each year? I'd love to hear how it works.

I'm interested in 15 or so LMX 11, 12 month old bullocks each Spring for example.

(Could be similar on the other end, partnership to sell 20 month bullocks for stores in November each year)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Maybe not partnership per se but lots of farmers would have repeat customers buying weanlings off them every year and they quickly forge a relationship with them.

I used to sell in-calf springers back a few years ago (only 4-5 per year). I had the one customer in that I wouldn’t even advertise but I used to ring him when they’d be ready and he’d come straight away. Never left one behind and I was always happy with the price.

check out done deal or just ring up any local suckler farmer.

The only issue though you might find that most suckler farmers sell their weanlings in the autumn as opposed to carrying over to the spring sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Im just being nosey now but what do you do after you sell your cattle after november?. Just leave the grass over winter ready for the next batch?.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭n1st

Yes and no. I let some neighbours graze sheep and horses for a couple of months. Fresh grass in spring

Advertisement