Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Valleys - Recommendations on mountain

Options
  • 14-01-2023 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Heading to Three Valleys (La Tania) start of March with my wife.

Already planning our days and looking for recommendations on lunch, views and good deckchair spots.

As much as I love skiing, chilling in the sun on a deckchair, sipping a drink is just as important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

What a great spot for runs and terrain. Loved it there. There are very few things better than sitting on a mountainside having a few drinks in the sunshine. Unfortunately I can't help with current spots to chill, it has been 20 years since I was there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Courchevel 1850 near where La Tania is, can be very, very expensive. In days gone by it was the favorite resort of very wealthy Russians, I dont know how its fared post-COVID and Ukraine War. Dont commit to anything in the town or on slope there without knopwing the price (hot chcolate cost me 12 quid one day!)

Lots of very good eats in Val Thorens, the best sun and loads of decks and deck chairs but its the furthest from you so you will need to be carefula nd watch your time. Folie Douce is over there, worth seeing but its expensive and crowded.

In Meriblle there are good reasonable restaurants in the town, in Mottaret there used to be a good Burger place under the arch that did a "mountain burger". Easier to get home from Meribel or Mottaret, there are about 3 seperate lift routes you can take.

Our hang out was always https://lerondpointmeribel.com/ good eats and beer on slope, big deck area, great music.

There are a heap of decent mountain places nothing that stands out as a must in my memmory but wont be hard to find good spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

My wife has an apartment there so know the place well. Bouc Blanc (Bar/restaurant) at the top of the 1st lift from la tania is nice in the afternoon, catches the sun really well. Le Pub in la Tania, good for a beer, they do happy hour as well. Also La Taiga, nice place (same owner as le Pub) good for food in the evening. I'd recommend the Courchavel side of the mountain over the meribel side but thats my personal preference. Up at la croix noir is where I proposed to my missus, nice skiing around there. Its a pricey place, I remember paying 12 quid for a hot chocolate at one of the bars near Courchavel.

There's a decent shop in La Tania as well and patiserie (great pain au chocolats). Also nice place for pizza (la marmot) in la Tania. Normally the higher the bar the more pricey the menu so be aware of this. Personally we used bring our premade rolls, grab a beer at the bar/restaurant and use the deck chairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

La Chalet de Pierres is a nice spot for lunch and chilling in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I'm jealous - love La Tania. Haven't been there for ten years. If there hasn't been a dump, start your day on the freshly groomed chorduroy piste of Folyeres. It's usually empty first thing cos everyone heads off for higher ground. This will likely be your last run of the day too after a few scoops at Bouc Blanc. So it'd be good to get to know it first 😉. There's also an easy green run down through the forest. I'm sure you'll be glued to this character for the next few weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Op1pZR2R_s&ab_channel=LaTaniaSkiResortSnowReportChannel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Ahh lovely! We're in La Tania from the 24th Feb. It's one of our regular spots.

Not much to add that hasn't been mentioned already. Val Thorens is definitely worth a trip, but start early, and as mentioned, watch the time. It's a good day out, good bit of skiing, but a lot of lifts too.

Plenty of spots around the place to pull up to a deckchair if the sun is out. God I can't wait now!

Bon Ski!

Advertisement