Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 in pictures

Options
  • 15-01-2023 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭

A bit delayed on posting this but 2022 was one of the more interesting weather years from my point of view of recent years granted that's not saying much as they've been largely a drag to be honest!

The year started off on an exceptionally mild note with a record mild New Year's Day which was soon replaced by a generally dry and sunny January, the driest since 2006 and sunniest since 2015 for my locality.

This sunrise on 5th January 2022 lined up with Poolbeg Lighthouse as it eventually rose above the band of low cloud on the horizon, sums up the month of January. Nothing much went on but it was a pleasant month of weather and was leagues above January 2023!

The second month of the calendar year, February was often windy and brought 3 named storms in the space of one week mid-month. Eunice on the 18th was the most standout one in Dublin with an eerily quiet morning as the eye passed over and then it became dramatically windier. The wind was not exceptional. Graupel and sleet showers were seen later in the day. The image below is of one arriving at Burrow Beach, Sutton.

March was my favourite month of 2022 as it offered a record-breaking amount of sunshine with so many lovely days to get out and about. It got off to a frosty start on the 1st as per the image below from Portmarnock, more frosty than any month in the winter of 2021-22. It became significantly milder by mid-month and there was a mild spell for the final 2 weeks of the month apart from the final day which brought a northeasterly. Winds were notably calm on the 24th March with reflection perfection at Grand Canal Dock. There was also a St. Patrick's Day red sky and sunrise rainbow that I missed sadly. The aurora of 13th March 2022 was the brightest reportedly in Ireland since 2016. What a month.

April got off to a chilly and poor start but the second half improved a lot whilst it had a bitter easterly wind which was certainly felt here on the east coast. The easterly wind and high tidal conditions coinciding with sunset gave some good conditions for long exposure photos in the final week as per the one below from Seapoint.

Largely disappointing May with some fine days here and there. Fog came temporarily after the sun approached from the horizon at sunrise for Darkness Into Light on the 7th, very appropriate.

June was another disappointing month and quite changeable, often windy. Like May it had its moments. The standout for me was a torrential shower that just kept on raining for like 2 hours right over me during the evening. It gave localised flooding but the most notable aspect was a spectacular double reflection rainbow as shown below at Howth where I got a double rainbow but also two reflection bows. I hadn't seen a reflection bow before.

July was once more a disappointing month for how cloudy it was yet warm. There were few standout days, often felt muggy and of course had the record-breaking hot day on the 18th that brought the highest Ireland temp since 1887. The image below of a fiery red sky after sunset on the 17th at Claremont Beach, Howth before the record-breaking heat. Also a lovely warm swimrise at Portmarnock on the 18th. As well as sea fog at Burrow Beach, Sutton on the 10th.

Then we finally got the August we've been waiting for. August 2022 was stunning, especially that second week which brought a heatwave to parts of the country and more record-breaking heat. Very clear skies. Got my latest noctilucent clouds display on record on the 11th and it was stunning, had a thunderstorm on the 14th but it stayed offshore unfortunately and a perfect supermoon on the 11th. The 11th August 2022 was one of the best days I have ever seen. Have a few pics for this period! Some of which I've shown in discussion threads but I'll show again.

Largely poor September with a very wet opening, a few overnight deluges. Cool second half. Only things I have of note here is a lovely sunset from Howth Summit on 24th after a nice day of sunny spells and a good full moonrise on the 10th.

October very mild with unusual intense thunderstorm especially for the time of year on the 19th. Also partial solar eclipse on the 25th.

November again very mild and unsettled. The only thing I have from this month is a colourful sunset at Father Collins Park on the 17th, otherwise hardly anything. Very poor autumn colours, compared to most years I've seen that is, from the consistent mild weather and gales.

December marks off 2022 with a nice cold spell in the second week including Dublin's first Dec snow since 2011. Lots of photos from this period, snow in Tallaght on the 8th; snow and freezing fog at Hellfire Club on the 9th; freezing fog on the 12th at Ringsend; fiery sky on the 14th in Donaghmede with snow on the mountains in the distance; frozen Royal Canal at Maynooth on the 15th and a red sky at dawn over a frosty Dublin and snowy mountains on the 16th.

Anyway, that rounds off my 2022 weather photography wise. How was the year for you?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A stunning set of pictures! 👏

Advertisement