Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repainting a car?

Options
  • 15-01-2023 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

hi guys, restoring an old car, 1990 mr2, nearly ready for paint now. are all auto paints water based now or can you still get the old two pack paints?

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

You can still get Two Pack or 2K paint, the difference between 2k & 1K paint is normally the need to add a hardener with the 2K paint. Sadly for your paint finish but happily for the environment what you cannot get anymore is a lead based paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

would i get a good finish with lead free paint though?

Yes, all modern cars are painted with lead free paint.

This was my car that I painted last year, this finish is just off gun.. meaning that it hasn't been polished in any way

Here's a classic Porsche my painter also was doing at the same time

There is nothing wrong with modern paint, it's just harder to work with than the old lead paint was.

Plus, what's your other option... not paint the car?

looks very good, can i ask in what way do you mean harder to work with?

It laid down on the car better out of the gun & it was more consistent in how it dried so even someone who was just an ok painter could get a great finish as the paint was just more forgiving to work with. There is NOTHING wrong with modern water based paint, pick a good painter & so long as the body prep work is done right (a paint finish is 90% the prep & 10% the paint) your car will look amazing when done.

• Advertisement

thanks for all your help....im going to jump in and give it a go👍️

Advertisement