Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallorca Cycling Routes

Options
  • 16-01-2023 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm off to Mallorca in late April for some cycling. I'll be staying in Pollenca (Old Town) and I'm looking for some route suggestions for the middle of the island. I've been to Mallorca quite a few times before and I am quite familiar with the northern third of the island where all the famous climbs are located (west to Andratx and east to Cap Formentor). So to mix things up a bit I would like to spend at least one day exploring the flatter and perhaps less visited parts of the island. I did try once before when on holiday with the family but got caught on some very busy roads near Sineu. Any links to nice route would be appreciated.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The climb to Sant Salvador is a good day out. Stop in Petra on the way out for lunch. Roads are busier but I don’t think you can avoid them on the south/south east of the island. Note on my route, we missed a turn when leaving Petra which brought us on a gravel track for a bit! We were on road bikes and it was fine.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3050062267666488554?share_sig=C25221451673876327

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Port de Pollenca to Sa Calobra and back https://www.strava.com/routes/17123198?v2=true

Andratx to Port Pollenca https://www.strava.com/routes/2526252?v2=true - unreal spin

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

I stayed in Alcudia last summer and I found the towns inland were often based on hills so it was very nice cycling around the likes of Muro and Sa Pobla.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Stayed in Port de Pollenca the last 2 years, cycled to Cap Formentor early one morning, but honestly found it tough enough but also very enjoyable. Also did a route from Port towards Alcudia, Playa de Muro ( which is a complete pain in the arse, constantly stopping at multiple roundabouts & pedestrian crossings ) , south towards C'an Picafort. then turn west towards Muro, Sa Pobla, back towards Pollenca town, then back to the Port. Overall, brilliant times, and the drivers, both local & tourists seem very considerate. looking forward to doing same again sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Port de Pollenca to Cap Formentor has a lot of climbing but its a lovely cycle, its 18km out with 500 meters in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Hi lads,

Any recommendations on where to stay in Pollenca? The OH is going as well so something she'd like.😀 Open to self catering or hotels.

I will be doing some cycling so was wondering who would be best to rent from?

Looking at doing a route, preferably a round trip so that I am getting in different scenery/ climbs. Was thinking: Pollenca-Port de pollenca, Alcudia-Sa Pobla-Muro, not sure where to head from there.... what did ye think & where to head back from Muro?

Re: are the MA roads safe such as the MA-10,MA-13 etc. safe, are they main cycling routes or should be avoided due to traffic?

Any advice appreciated.

TIA

Post edited by Nemanrio on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Londonirish72

So Pollensa (old town) is much prettier than Port de Pollensa so that is where I would stay. Beware that the streets are very narrow there so if you rent a car you may have to park away from where you stay. Tons of restaurants and cafes.

There is only 1 bike hire place in Pollensa and it is Ultimate Bikes - I would avoid them if at all possible. Port de Pollensa has tons of shops including some high end places and some will deliver to you but you might be better off giving your rental bike a good check plus short cycle before accepting it as I have had problems in the past.

All the main roads are fine and have marked bike lanes save for the Ma-13 which is a motorway.

Soller is another good place to stay but you'll have big climbs out of there.

If you other half does not cycle then you can easily rent e-bikes so you can both enjoy the place. If you study google maps you'll be able to knit together lovely cycles that bypass a lot of the busier roads but even busy roads tend to be safe given the attidude of most drivers in Mallorca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The club is just back from there and they went on guided spins from Port de Pollença with Stuart Hall. They knew all the lovely quiet car-free lanes and backroads all over the island. I've been there before and tagged on the back of such groups a few times and there's miles and miles of quiet flat-riding to be done away from the usual well known hilly routes.

Perhaps you could pay on the day? Or just hide in a bush til they pass and jump on the back! :)

Advertisement