Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 Retrofit Quote

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭society4

You won’t get much change out of 400-450k ….

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Yeah that is my fear rough calculations I’m going with are

70sq metres by 3k =210k

120sq metres by 1.5k = 180k

total 390-400k

that’s over my budget so will need to pair things back I reckon before planning. My view is get structure and builders finish then complete out what we can with the rest of the budget but wife will have a different opinion 😱 Budget is all cash which may help on the finish side of things I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

I'm currently out for quotes with 7 builders for:

Renovate as above.

Extend hip roof over garage and attic conversion (non-habitable).

Kitchen extension as above.

I'd expect quotes to be getting near €400k incl. VAT. Got a quote in Jan '23 for €340k excl. VAT, and labour nor prices have gone down since. Will know more early Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Retrofitlou

Hi

Im in the middle of the retrofit. Ive a 80m2 terrace house and its costings ~56k. Im nearly done but I need to block up my chimney to ensure I get the grant for the Heat Pump - "Please Note: In order to be eligible for the Heat Pump Grant you must arrange for your chimney to be permanently blocked. This is not a service SSE can provide however failure to do so may result in the grant not being paid."

My question is (and I maybe on the wrong thread) is have anyone else done this as part of their retrofit? I asked the SEAI for specs on how to do this at they have me this. We're unsure the best way to block the flues at the attic. Apparently temporary measures are not acceptable. Any advice welcome!

Couple of quotes in and comparing to a Jan '23 quote they are not any cheaper. If anything more expensive 🙁

• Advertisement

yeah from what I can see there is still a lot of demand for work so while that exists it will keep prices high. The other side is labour costs are still a big piece of the quote and that is getting more expensive.

What are the quotes coming in at per sq metre for the retrofit and new build. I'm waiting for a few quotes back but hoping its under 3k for new build and 1500 for retrofit.

regards

Kev

The quote against my Bill of Quantities is hard to differentiate between the new build and retrofit asks as I have both within. If I progress to quote reviews with my QS hopefully I can determine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Got first quote back basically looking at the following work

1). knock kitchen into dining room and add 30sqm single story extension

2). knock garage and build 2 story extension for downstairs bedroom with en-suite and the same upstairs

3). retrofit to 120sqm house

4). rewire and replumb

breakdown of costs are ex vat

single story extension 70k

2 story extension 106k

alterations to existing building 38k

siteworks 21k

mechanical + electrical installations 51k

preliminaries + insurance 35k

basically €360 k for a builders finish as nothing in the quote for kitchen, tiling, wardrobes, painting and decorating,

I know it’s south county Dublin but quote is just crazy or am I missing something before we go back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

323k by my maths?

Still obscene granted

• Advertisement

That lovely thing called VAT had to be added 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Sheeeeeet!!

Terrible time to be trying to get anything construction related done...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was sale agreed on a 1960s semi d in South Dublin that sounds quite similar. It was around 110m2 and in bad nick, needed a full refurb and we wanted to knock the shítty garage conversion and build a two story extension to the side as well as an extension to the rear. I had a preliminary meeting with an architect who had done that exact job on the house behind in 2018 and he told us current costs were €4000-5000 a square metre to build and about 80% of that to retrofit. We had a €450k budget and pretty much all of that by his estimates would have gone on refurbing the existing building only, absolutely nothing leftover for any kind of extension.

We bowed out of the purchase, he was basically telling us it's a bubble and costs should come back down soon because he's seeing a lot of jobs go out to tender and not go any further due to exorbitant quotes coming back. Still far too much uncertainty for us to go ahead and sign contracts not knowing if we'd be able to afford to do what we wanted to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Retrofitlou

Afraid not. Mid terrace house. Chimney is definitely staying!

HI Folks,

Anyone got any quotes for work back recently. I'm early days in the process but few quotes I got back are still very high and no sign of them getting any cheaper..

I was hoping for ball park of 3k a sq metre for new build and 1500 for retrofit but not seeing that just yet..

regards

Kev

€350k in Jan, €390k in Jul, €370k in Aug from different builders against the same BoQ. Waiting on 2 other to submit quotes in next 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Not wishing to sound negative about the one stop shop scheme but it appears to be a complete scam.

Signed up for report 2022 and a company (who also are a big provider of green residential electricity…) quoted me €250 per sqm for external wall insulation (advised to get good carpets instead of insulating suspended timber floors!)

I balked and they returned this year to provide an updated quote of 247 per sqm before grant of 6k (41k total)

Meanwhile, I got quoted from other seai registered contractors and they were respectively 35k before grant and 25k before grant, or 120 a sqm.

that one stop shop is lining pockets.

Hi Folks,

Quote back for the following

1). knock kitchen into dining room and add 30sqm single story extension

2). knock garage and build 2 story extension for downstairs bedroom with en-suite and the same upstairs

3). retrofit to 120sqm house

4). rewire and replumb

Plumbing cost below is upgrade Gas boiler and only future proof for Heat pump and solar.

What are peoples views as it blew up my expectation of  3k a sq metre for new build and 1500 for retrofit

Another builder just came back with 400k but no bill of quantities..

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Well this thread is eye opening, guess we'll be holding off until prices start coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

there are a lot of PC sums in that for near half a mil, no? costs though, they are out of control. how can people afford on top of another half a mil (minimum) for SCD

• Advertisement

yeah its a valid point. When we bought the house we knew it would need a lot of work and had said 250k should do most of it. How wrong were we 😱 It’s easy to see why ready to Go houses are selling at a premium and selling quickly, While most houses that need work are on the market longer or going under asking price.

Renovation costs are just crazy with no sign of them dropping. It’s hard to get a builder in SCD to even quote for work these days.

As for the PCSums have got proper quotes for most of them and they are not that far off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Would you consider paying an independent QS to price up the works ? At least you could give builders a defined list and know where the ‘profit’ is..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Shoog

I can tell you that a basic MHRV system will cost around 3k in parts alone. On the principle of doubling for labour then you looking at least 6k. I would say labour has gone so stupid that a more realistic figure is 8k.

Doing it myself on a similar sized semi and parts came in at 2.9k, I reckon I am saving at least 3 grand doing it myself but it's a complex job with lots of hole drilling, boxing in and plastering.

I am doing airtightness where practical on internal 100mm backed plasterboard and it's a lot of extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Where are getting your info for DIY MHRV Install ? I am in a bungalow so pipe runs should be easy enough with no boxing etc required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Shoog

Price is what I paid.

I have seen people talking about 8k for a typical contractor install on a 120 M2 property.

That is only one builder so going out to tender to get a few other quotes. Then will work from that. In my opinion the current quote is quite high so will see how things pan out over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Have you got any more quotes? Really hoping prices are coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm seeing €1,750 - €2k retro and €2.5 - 3k for new in Dublin.

While it may seem like a bubble inflation is still on the rise so leaving it for the bubble to burst may just mean that inflation eats up any savings anyway IMO.

There are 2 factors to costs; labour and materials.

Labour costs only come down only when supply is greater than demand. Labour could free up due to other projects being stopped (commercial etc.), or an influx of new labour comes into the market.

Material costs may move up and down somewhat but unlikely to retract to levels homeowners would like to see!

With inflation eating into money at rate of circa 7-8%, and the fact that the sooner the work is complete you reap the benefits for longer, it is tough decision to make; pay the 'premium' or risk waiting for a brighter day.

My two cents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement