Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side Extension PP required or not?

Options
  • 16-01-2023 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there. I'm looking to knock down an old add-on/extension which was registered as part of the main building so has never consumed any of my 25sqm exemption allowance. The add-on is at the side of the property and stepped back 6ft from the front of the house. It needs knocking down and rebuilding. For the rebuild I'd want to increase the size slightly by pushing it out an additional meter sideways from the house. I'd also like to change its existing flat roof to a pitched roof to improve overall appearance. The size increase will be minimal (+5sqmts) but the pitched roof will change the appearance from the front. Will I require planning permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes PP required.

Can I ask what you mean by "an old add-on/extension which was registered as part of the main building" - particularly the "registered" bit? Was that part of the original house? A room? a Garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Geraldo1981

@muffler Exactly mate. It's in the original plans - part of the original house. It was a fuel store originally I'm told but I don't think this matters, it is simply another part of the living area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Geraldo1981

@muffler "Yes PP required". What aspects will require PP? Is it the size increase or the pitched roof or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sheds , fuel stores etc located to the side of a house can be converted to living accommodation without PP (up to 40m2) but as it is now part of the house and you wish to increase the size then PP is required. If it had been to the rear of the house it may have been different though.

Advertisement