Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I bend an immersion heater before installing it?

• 16-01-2023 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm installing a new hot water cylinder and bought a new immersion heater at the same time from the same plumbing supply shop (so it should be the right one). I cannot get the heater to screw into the tank because the internal heating coil is in the way so I can't get the thing to seat properly. We don't use the immersion heater much. I would have fitted a short one that only heated the upper part of the tank but the shop didn't sell one (this is the two element type, a long "bath" one and a short "sink" one). The elements are quite bendy: could I just bend the long one back on itself which would make it shorter and stop it hitting the coil? Or would that damage it? I think I'd have to put a full 180° bend in it otherwise it would catch the coil as I try to screw it into the cylinder.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭youtheman

If I was a betting man then I would bet what you suggest is an absolute and resounding NO NO. Most probably damage the element and risk a 'short circuit'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No, certainly not 180. get the shorter element

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭meercat

If you still have the original blank cap screw that back in. With the cylinder full ,Lightly tap it at the point where it will adjust the angle of insertion for the new immersion.

there’s a certain amount of risk to this but gently does it.

Advertisement